Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MotoGreg

Placing that new sticker on PERFECT

36 posts in this topic

When I got my preprinted number plate backgrounds the instructions said to use Windex and it worked perfectly. In fact, it worked better than the product I had been using in the past called "sticker on" that is specially made just for this purpose. The Windex didn't dry as quickly as the "sticker on" and gave me plenty of time to get them on just right. They also sent me a flexible plastic scraper type thing to squeegie (how do you spell that?) all the air bubbles out. I lost it since then and I have to put new graphics on my new Clarke tank today so I just bought a pack of 3 plastic bondo scrappers from Pep Boys for $1.99 and hopefully they'll work as good.

One word of advise.... do not use a hair dryer to heat up the graphic, it will make the graphic shrivel up and you'll never get it to lay flat in that spot again.

Fill your bath tub up with warm/hot water (and a little bit of Joy soap)...and then put your decals/backgrounds/sticker, etc in the tub or sink. The warm water makes the backgrounds flexible and you can reposition them as many times as you want w/o the decal losing it's stickyness (this is a life saver when doing the YZF's sidepanels, because the sidepanel can go in the tub too)! Later,

Garrett

Hey Ego,

The tub idea is a great way to put on graphics. It gives you an excuse to take a bath... Thumpertalk.com is starting to stink with an EgoAhole in here LOL

Just kidding your posts are hilarious! Later,

Garrett

I think I remember previous posts suggesting to actually heat the graphics in an oven. I've never attempted this stunt myself, but I wonder how well it really works? I guess any tips are worth trying for those side panel graphics! :)

I feel safe just using the tried-and-true hot soapy water method.

TT

Ya go ahead and stick it in the over at 475 for an hour,,

Dude who ever posted that is a bliping Moron !

Use the Sun Man ! Let Nature heat the Graphic

:) Hey since Rat Racing put out a good tip :D

I would like to add one on getting those stickesr on perfect every time. You can do the same thing when putting graphics on your bike.

WINDEX Use WINDEX (The Original not smelly or whatever) Just original Windex Glass cleaner. Here is how ya do it.

Needed Items:

A: Cotton clean cloth like a diaper

B: Squeagee for flat surface (I.E. Back Truck Window)

Steps:

1: Clean the surface of course real good.

2: Then saturate the area that the sticker / graphics are going on with Windex

3: Peal and apply (roll on from Center or edge) the Sticker / Graphic to the area ya want.

4: GENTLY with cotton cloth from center of Sticker / Graphic roll out the air bubbles, you can also slid the sticker / graphic into the perfect place.

Once all bubbles are gone you still have plenty of time to position the sticker. The Windex Evaporates and gives you a final sticker in the perfect spot with no air bubbles.

Believ me it works

Guys come on, don't be stupid. Why use the oven and have to wait to preheat or use the bathtub and have to wait for the tub to fill up etc etc.

It's so obvious fools, just put them in the microwave (on the defrost setting) for about 10 minutes.

I don't have an oven or microwave in the garage. Can I use a torch?

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: MotoGreg ]

no, the torch doesn't get hot enough. you must dunk your stickers/graphics in a bucket full of gasoline/kerosene and let them settle for 30 seconds in the bucket. then take a match and light it and throw it in the bucket and wait for about 1 minute. then pour water into the bucket, and pull out your graphics and apply. it should give you about 5 minutes to apply and dry, then you will be the first person on your block to have brown graphics...except for that neighbor with his 78 YZ 125 and his rusted out "used to be green" tank :)

No Guys

Go down to the local Army Surplus,

Get the Army issue M726b Flame Thrower (Thats How I tested that Fire Wall on my Front Door)

Just Place the Sticky on the area you want and let loose

BLAMO that puppy will just seal itself right on

:)

Originally posted by motoman393:

Fill your bath tub up with warm/hot water (and a little bit of Joy soap)...and then put your decals/backgrounds/sticker, etc in the tub or sink. The warm water makes the backgrounds flexible and you can reposition them as many times as you want w/o the decal losing it's stickyness (this is a life saver when doing the YZF's sidepanels, because the sidepanel can go in the tub too)! Later,

Garrett

Dude! Thats an awesome tip. Thanks.