Air Filters/Springs/Exhaust/Handguards

When I first got my xr650r, i got a backfirescreen and uni airfilter from xrsonly (2 different pieces/packages). Several post have mentioned a uni air filter that came with a metal screen/support inside. mine did not. am I missing something here?????

Thanks to everyone's feedback and help, i have resprung my beast. wasn't very difficult at all (wish i did have a spanner wrench for the rear shock collars, but my extra large slip pliers seemed to work okay. The front fork oil was as nasty as everyone says though - kinda like snot.

Also put on my whitebros eseries sbend. It includes a new bolt and standoff washer that is about an inch and a half thick. From what I could make of the instructions it was for the bottow subframe mount of the pipe. Mine fit better without it. Is this how everyone mounted their eseries?

Lastly, after looking at the schematics for the clutch/decompression bolts (mounting aftermarket handguards), i decided to go with the CRF250X bolt and boot. I think it's going to work. Went with what was recommended for the brake.

Jim

Also put on my whitebros eseries sbend. It includes a new bolt and standoff washer that is about an inch and a half thick. From what I could make of the instructions it was for the bottow subframe mount of the pipe. Mine fit better without it. Is this how everyone mounted their eseries?

The large spacer washer goes between the subframe and the pipe bracket on the frame mount closest to the seat. Keeps the tire from hitting the pipe. The bolt that came with my pipe was not long enough, had to pick one up at Ace Hardware. The bolt must go completely throught the sub-frame or it will fall out. :)

My Uni came (last June) with an aluminum frame that slides into it. No more screen.

Maybe they stopped doing that ?

When I first got my xr650r, i got a backfirescreen and uni airfilter from xrsonly (2 different pieces/packages). Several post have mentioned a uni air filter that came with a metal screen/support inside. mine did not. am I missing something here?????

The UNI filter should have came with its own metal support that fits inside the filter to help maintain its shape.

A couple of my friends and I are having trouble with the UNI filters letting in dust on our 650's. We ride in very, very, dusty conditions and have found the UNI leaves a very fine layer of dust inside the air box that is not there when using other filters(White, Stock).

All my filters look to be made up of the same foam. I use the same amount and type of oil(PJ1). I use a ton of grease around the inside edge of the box. The only difference is I use the stock backfire screen with all but the UNI.

Today I put the UNI in, without the support bracket that came with, and used the stock backfire screen just to see what will happen tomorrow.

BTW - I cannot tell the difference between the stock, White, or UNI filter, when riding. :) I am running it in some tight areas and rarely even get it into 4th or 5th gear, which is where one could probably feel it the most.

:D

I have been running a No-Toil filter with the stock backfire screen.. Tomorrow will be my first run with the UNI Filter wand the filter support plate. One would think it would flow more air. I have yet to open up my side plate. I'm leaving for Ocotillo after work and won't have time. I'll save that for when I bolt up my Edelbrock. Zoom Zoom Zoom! :)

Oh how I miss so. cal. Charge up Blow Sand a couple of times for me.

Roger That! Gonna throw in some runs at the Sand Wall at Superstition too! :)

Filter: No Toil-flows better than UNI, White, OEM-

Springs: Eibach or Racetech

Pipe: Available in June--The NEW Rob Barnum Quiet Race Pipe-better than anything else on the market!

Handguards: Stock OEM Handguards-but what do i know about woods riding--nuttin...

A couple of my friends and I are having trouble with the UNI filters letting in dust on our 650's. We ride in very, very, dusty conditions and have found the UNI leaves a very fine layer of dust inside the air box that is not there when using other filters(White, Stock).

I've got the Uni w/frame.

I film the inside of my airbox and intake boot with grease. I haven't been greasing the rim of my filter.

I've been amazed at how clean the airbox is.

I've had no problem with anything getting past the filter, but I rarely see dusty conditions.

Just 2 cents from the NorthEast.

the first uni filter i bought from baja designs did not come with a frame - it was just like the stock filter and did not have a place for a frame so i ran it with the backfire screen - and dust did get past it :)

the uni i have now came with frame - i dont use the backfire screen any more - i use greese on the lip of the filter and i have no dust in the airbox :D

jeff :D