New to me 04 WR450. Idling issues.

Hey team. I'm new to the forum and new to the WR world. Originally a 2 stroke motox type guy but its been a few years. I picked up a 04 450 a week or so ago. It's a one owner machine with the original rear tire intact. When I went to test ride I noticed it was not idling great but just figured it was a 4 stroke thing. After getting it home and having a go through it I realized it's having some issues. It starts okay when it's choked and then will idle choked for a bit. After a light warm up and the choke shut off it starts to idle irratically for about 20 seconds then dies. It won't hot start again without the choke on, then goes through the same process again. I'm thinking fuel/carb issue vs electrical. Anyone else have any insight for this half idiot two smoker guy?

Did you adjust the idle screw?

Have you adjusted the Fuel screw?

Get an R&D fuel screw so you can adjust the fuel screw easily.

The most common problem is a partially clogged pilot jet from sitting

Replace the pilot jet with a BRAND NEW one.

It should be a 45.

If you have stock jetting, now is the time to un-cork and re-jet.

Read the FAQ pinned posts at the top of this forum for instructions.

If you do not un-cork and re-jet, it will run very hot, and be no fun to ride.

I've only tried setting the idle screw, and now that you mention that it does run incredibly hot once it gets going. Potentially red hot if I closed up the garage and shut off the lights. Thanks for the input. I was hoping to avoid tearing down the carb but I don't think I'm going to be so lucky. .

I've only tried setting the idle screw, and now that you mention that it does run incredibly hot once it gets going. Potentially red hot if I closed up the garage and shut off the lights. Thanks for the input. I was hoping to avoid tearing down the carb but I don't think I'm going to be so lucky. .

It's normal to glow at night in a minute or two.

All carbs on all bikes need maintenence even if they just sit.

It's normal to glow at night in a minute or two.

All carbs on all bikes need maintenence even if they just sit.

I'd even say *especially* if it just sits

And don't use automotive carb cleaner on that carb. It'll eat the diaframs and gaskets.

I've never had problems with that.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info guys. I cleaned the carb what I thought was thoroughly, but it seems I didn't do a great job. Still only runs and idles with the choke on. Going shopping for some new jets today, then going to give it another going over.