Snrub0800

Lectron Carbs?

37 posts in this topic

I just found these carbs and they seem very interesting. I have an 09 wr450 that needs to be jetted and I found this entire carb while just lookin around. Anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks

Sure we used to use them back in 1980 on the Maico two strokes.

I sure wouldn't dream of using one on a WR450. The GYTR jet kit is about $75. and works. If you want perfection like I do send your carb off the Zipty racing and get all the mods done. You'll be a happy carberating camper.

I think the Lectron Carbs are good for the 2 Stroke machine.  There true value is that there is no need to change the jetting on them in various altitudes.  Two stroke have a lot more variance of jetting than four stroke.  The FCR carb is the best way to go on the four strokes, unless you have FI.  Then you have no jetting issues.

I use a Lectron on my ktm 300.  Its a nice carb.  Runs smooth.   No adjustments needed.    Nice mpg improvement.

I hear they have a 4 stroke carb now.  If you don't like dealing with carbs, then call them.

If you don't mind messing with your carb, then save your money, order some jets and the other things needed to fix up the FCR.   It will run just as good.

I just found these carbs and they seem very interesting. I have an 09 wr450 that needs to be jetted and I found this entire carb while just lookin around. Anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks

I've ran the Edelbrock carb on a couple of 450's with good results. A little hard to adjust but doable. But honestly, once you get the stock carb jetted correctly (with Yamaha stock parts) future adjustments are rare.

Bump, thinking of switching out the Keihin on my 08 wr450f, I'm tired of not getting it really right when the temp changes.

Any new thoughts? Seen a couple of yz and wr owners who are really happy with the change.

Any expert advice from people who tried a swap?

Bump, thinking of switching out the Keihin on my 08 wr450f, I'm tired of not getting it really right when the temp changes.

Any new thoughts? Seen a couple of yz and wr owners who are really happy with the change.

Temp changes and changing a WR. Maybe from the middle of summer in Death Valley to the coldest winter in Alaska.

1 person likes this

The lack of an accelerator pump makes me wonder how it would perform on a four stroke. 

I have 3, all on 2 strokes though. David at Lectron is very helpful, and honest. Give him a call and I'm sure he will explain the pros and cons on a 4 stroke.

Stay with the FCR for your WR 450.

If temp changes more than 100 degrees, a rejet is called for. Once you have it done right, make a note. Then in summer, switch ift back come net winter, switch it again. Swapping pilot, main and needle takes 20 minutes tops.

If other yz and wr owners are happy with it, then you probably would be too.   There's a growing list of guys on big bore thumpers who are giving it a try and liking it.

If you can afford it, why not?    If it gives you the simplicity of fuel injection  (which it may somewhat), then you saved a ton of money over a new bike.

WR's are great bikes.   But they are a pain to jet at times because the carb is hard to get to.  

Do it.   It will work.   And the rest of us want to know how it works out.

1 person likes this

If other yz and wr owners are happy with it, then you probably would be too. There's a growing list of guys on big bore thumpers who are giving it a try and liking it.

If you can afford it, why not? If it gives you the simplicity of fuel injection (which it may somewhat), then you saved a ton of money over a new bike.

WR's are great bikes. But they are a pain to jet at times because the carb is hard to get to.

Do it. It will work. And the rest of us want to know how it works out.

I couldn't find many examples of guys running Lectron's on anything but drag bikes.

Locally a rider tried one on his DRZ400 and found the low end lacking response.

I thought about a Lectron for my WR when it was time for a new carb. They lost me with the lack of AP pump and I sourced a used FCR-MX.

There's a lot of four-strokes with Lectrons and I've haven't found one who reverted back.

I mainly want to do it so I don't need to reset between summer 35 Celsius and winter 30 below.

But I wanted to discuss it with someone who did the swap without registrating on yet another forum, that's why I asked here, thanks for input guys

I think it's a compelling discussion for those that ride 4 seasons. I need to re jet in Winter or it runs like crap. Then you have that early Spring and late Fall when it is hit or miss. Re jetting is not awful but let's face it, pulling s carb a few times a year is not exactly a good use of time. A set it and forget it approach would be nice.

1 person likes this

I think it's a compelling discussion for those that ride 4 seasons. I need to re jet in Winter or it runs like crap. Then you have that early Spring and late Fall when it is hit or miss. Re jetting is not awful but let's face it, pulling s carb a few times a year is not exactly a good use of time. A set it and forget it approach would be nice.

Hum I don't re jet any of my bikes. I've ridden in very cool climates and high altitude.

Personally I've used Lectron carbs on two strokes. I wouldn't use one on a WR450. I believe your money is way better spent sending your carb to Zipty racing and getting all the mods done.

Hum I don't re jet any of my bikes. I've ridden in very cool climates and high altitude.

Personally I've used Lectron carbs on two strokes. I wouldn't use one on a WR450. I believe your money is way better spent sending your carb to Zipty racing and getting all the mods done.

Just kicking it around at this point. I like ideas but it does not mean I do all of them. All riding places have their own circumstances driven by humidity, temperature and density altitude. High altitude and cool are one thing. The same altitude and hot plus humid are another.

Who knows where I will end up. Fun idea to kick around if they are doing a 4 stroke friendly version (which I have yet to even confirm at this point).

II feel the same as Steve the and I have all mods except the Honda Squirt on my wr carb.

I ride between -31 below Fahrenheit and 95+ and I need to rejet to make it work acceptable

There is no better four stroke carb than the FCR CR/MX...once you update it similar to the 2008 Honda specs with the aftermarket upgrade parts from ZipTy or Tokyo mods , or R&D racing.

I never rejet anymore and ride from 0 to 8500 in 40-115 degrees.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1053317-06-crf450r-still-bogs/?hl=%2Baccelerator+%2Bpump#entry11143305

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552436-installation-of-rd-powerpump-on-keihin-fcr-carb-yfz450/#!HhZ2a

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1093495-fuel-screw-and-jetting/

1 person likes this

Lectron have been successfully making carbs for big bore four strokes for a while, best to contact them directly. sales@lectronfuelsystems.com

Posted (edited)

Lectron have been successfully making carbs for big bore four strokes for a while, best to contact them directly. sales@lectronfuelsystems.com

For trail riding? I see they supply for drag racing and flat track situations. When I contacted Lectron about using the bike for single track they were pretty vague on what the off idle performance would be like. Edited by bkoz