HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Ryno221

Fuel mileage for a harescramble

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking at racing the occasional harescramble with my 08 yz450f. It has a stock tank and I was curious if anyone knew how many miles the stock tank would get me or would I have to plan on pitting?

It think it's around 40 miles. Give or take a few depending on how wide open you hold it. Your best bet is to just invest in a desert tank

I have clocked it at 50 miles before we had to start worrying about whether we would make it back to the truck.  I just did an hour and a half Desert GP with a 6 mile loop and never stopped for gas on my '06 with a stock tank.  Still had some left in the bottom too.  I had a good lead and started running one gear higher for the last two laps just to make sure I would make it to the flag.

Dave

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. The courses vary from 7-12 mile loops. I'll do so calculations when I get their and plan a pit stop for fuel if needed. I race more motocross so I really don't want to swap out fuel tanks back and forth.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. The courses vary from 7-12 mile loops. I'll do so calculations when I get their and plan a pit stop for fuel if needed. I race more motocross so I really don't want to swap out fuel tanks back and forth.

Keep in mind that you don't have to fill the tank all the way up if you don't want to when you race MX. I have a 2.9 gal tank on my 450 and only put about a gallon and a half in it on the track. Gas weighs about 6.3 pounds per gallon. A bigger tank might add approximately 1.5 more pounds in extra plastic as a guesstimate. 

Edited by CSAR FE