Yz without spark arrestor stock exhaust. How do they check in California

I bought a 99 yz 400f put the stock exhaust back on and realize it doesn't have a spark arrestor. Can I just make one with a stainless strainer? Will the rangers check the mesh or only probe it. I live in southern California. Ride in El mirage , gorman, glamis and pismo.

I bought a 99 yz 400f put the stock exhaust back on and realize it doesn't have a spark arrestor. Can I just make one with a stainless strainer? Will the rangers check the mesh or only probe it. I live in southern California. Ride in El mirage , gorman, glamis and pismo.

I'm kinda thinking you would want a spark arrestor because it's the right thing to do, but I'm not familiar with your riding areas. Ever see a large forest fire, or the damage?

• Like 1

I completely agree on that, my question is if I make my own will it be an issue or how can the rangers tell if I did

Unless you have a stamp or tag that says "USFS approved spark arrestor" you run the risk of getting ticketed.  If you don't have anything stating USFS approved then they will probably run a wire or a stick down the tail pipe to see if they hit a restriction anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...