HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Hypheriox

Gearing/sprocket

5 posts in this topic

Okay so I have an 03 wr450 and I plan on making it a street-legal. I was just wondering what sprocket size for the front and back would be the best for driving on City roads but would also be ok for occasional off-roading. I will post what sprocket sizes I have right now later on tomorrow

The simplest thing to do is go +1 on the front. If you are going to do an off road only trip, just swap the old front sprocket back on. If your primary use off the bike is street, +1 on front & -2 on rear. This is equal to -5 on the rear, but gives the chain a little more life by using a larger front sprocket.

1 person likes this

What's the highest speed you'll want to cruise at? For all city stuff I could see stock gearing being reasonable. Freeway is when you want tall gearing. 

Stock on my '08 is 13/50 which became buzzy on the road around 45mph.  I went to a 15/46 setup and can cruise around 60-65 comfortably now.  First gear is a little tall for technical single track but still manageable.