2014 wr450f wont start in gear anymore out of no where

My bike used to start in gear all the time and out of no where lately it wont do it anymore even with the clutch in. (Honestly cant remember if it started in gear clutch out, never tried.) but im pretty sure i have a clutch switch as there are wires coming from the clutch lever, but im not worried about that, just want it like before. Something to do with neutral safety. Starts just fine in neutral clutch in or out but put it in gear and its dead silent . Would like this feature back as when i stall on a hill, i need to be able to start it again without putting it in neutral. Only thing i have found by now is a relay looking deal that has some symbols and reads "tx-02" and when i put that on the ohm-meter it doesnt doesnt even move the pointerImageUploadedByThumper Talk1462589971.327142.jpg

Anybody got any ideas or have had something similar happen and found a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like a duplicate to Krannie's topic. Is your clutch kill switch still good? Or the short if that's what you have.

So my clutch switch used to work for sure. Im guessing thats what problem is now. How do you check this to see if its not working?

If it's starting with the kick might be battery. Hopefully starting on one kick.

I dont think its a battery issue as it turns over strong in neutral firing right up. In gear it doesnt even turn over, starter not engaging. Im thinking it might be the clutch switch because it knows what gear im in, so i dont think its neutral safety.

I dont think its a battery issue as it turns over strong in neutral firing right up. In gear it doesnt even turn over, starter not engaging. Im thinking it might be the clutch switch because it knows what gear im in, so i dont think its neutral safety.

Can you kick start it in gear? If it's a defective clutch switch, the bike won't start with kick or electric start.

Can you kick start it in gear? If it's a defective clutch switch, the bike won't start with kick or electric start.

I can kick start in gear. So the clutch switch has nothing to do with disabling the starter? Does it disable the ignition?

Sounds like your clutch switch isn't working, the reason you can use the starter motor in neutral is because these bikes have a neutral switch too.

And to start the bike with the starter motor one of those switches needs to be engaged.

An easy way to check if it is the clutch switch is to remove it and run a wire between the pins. This will essentially make it so the bike thinks the clutch is always in.

It plugs in right beside the digital display you can reach it without even removing the headlight.

Then put in in gear with the clutch in and if it starts with the starter motor well then you just need a new switch (~$25 I think)

Obviously i wouldn't recommend riding around like this though because all you have to do is bump the switch in gear with the clutch out and you're launching yourself.

Edited by Nathh

If you would be more specific on what it did do, and what EXACTLY it does now, and when, you might get some help.

" i just want it like before' is not going to help.....

Thanks for nothing.. There are other posts on this thread with more detail.
  • Like 1

Sounds like your clutch switch isn't working, the reason you can use the starter motor in neutral is because these bikes have a neutral switch too.

And to start the bike with the starter motor one of those switches needs to be engaged.

An easy way to check if it is the clutch switch is to remove it and run a wire between the pins. This will essentially make it so the bike thinks the clutch is always in.

It plugs in right beside the digital display you can reach it without even removing the headlight.

Then put in in gear with the clutch in and if it starts with the starter motor well then you just need a new switch (~$25 I think)

Obviously i wouldn't recommend riding around like this though because all you have to do is bump the switch in gear with the clutch out and you're launching yourself.

Thanks for all the info, this is great. Going to try that out here today and post up on it.

Much appreciated.

That's a good way to do it. Let us know if that works.

Will do.

That's a good way to do it. Let us know if that works.

Welp.. It did not work. I unplugged the clutch switch and put a wire on the two terminals and didnt do anything, still not turning over.. Any other ideas Nathh?