HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

0bigsilver6

Suspension setup

10 posts in this topic

02 yz426f

I just got off the phone with devol suspension here in WA and they gave me a $600 price tag on revolving my suspension and setting it up for me. This seems awfully high, how involved is it to buy the parts and go through it on my own? Or would I be better off just forking over the cash to have the professionals do it?

Edited by 0bigsilver6

I paid $495 and received a discount to have my last set done (not by Devol ).  That's not that expensive.  Doing it yourself I have no experience with, but there are a lot of self-help videos on YouTube and helpful folks on the forums.

Is that on bike or off? Does that include springs too, or just valving? 

If you were buying Racetech parts the fork valve kit and the shock valve kit are $170 each, so $340. $260 labor to revalve fork and shock isn't outrageous. Throw in springs ($130F/$115R) and parts alone aren't very far from that $600 figure.

Is that on bike or off? Does that include springs too, or just valving?

If you were buying Racetech parts the fork valve kit and the shock valve kit are $170 each, so $340. $260 labor to revalve fork and shock isn't outrageous. Throw in springs ($130F/$115R) and parts alone aren't very far from that $600 figure.

That price was springs, valves, oil, seals, basically a complete rebuild. With everything off the bike. It would be $60 more if I take the whole bike. Sounds like I should just have them do it.

Huh, that's cheaper than I would've expected. Makes me wonder whether they're just changing the shim stack rather than the valves. Shims are cheap... did they mention what brand valves? Although it's far more important to have the right shim stack than the best valves.

Huh, that's cheaper than I would've expected. Makes me wonder whether they're just changing the shim stack rather than the valves. Shims are cheap... did they mention what brand valves? Although it's far more important to have the right shim stack than the best valves.

The previous owner that I bought the bike from had the suspension done by them, so I get $200 off because he did that. That $200 would be for the valving, but I think it's got a lifetime warranty or something so I don't get charged that. Lucky me.

There is usually very little reason to change the "valves" themselves.  Any valve actually consists of a stack of shims, perhaps a spring or two, and a ported disc on which the shims sit and close against when reverse biased.  In by far most cases, the OEM valves' flow is at least adequate without more than some mild rework, if that.  Most times, the "race valves" are added to help your wallet drain better.

Jesse Black with Division MX Suspension is the best I've ever had. Look them up on Facebook or I can get you their phone # if you like. Pricing is comparable and customer service is amazing!

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll probably still stick with devol since they are most local to me and because I get that $200 off.