03 WR450 Starter upgrades

I hear about people who complain loudly are getting the 04 parts for the starter/flywheel from Yamaha. I have an 03 with no problems. Should I be looking for this free upgrade as well??

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo,

If you haven't had the flywheel key shear you are probably OK. The main problem that we have had is related to a bad match of the tapers on the crank and flywheel. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade to the '04 Torque Limiter. Yamaha is only paying for those of us that have a lot of problems.

Jeff

My 04 torque limiter arrives today and will be on the bike tomorrow. It is worth the expence just for the peace of mind knowing that you will make it back to the truck.

I agree! I've got all my parts and just waiting on the torque limiter to arrive. Until then, I'll just pack my tools and spare woodruff keys. :)

Anyone successfully retrofit the '04 torque limiter using just the small inspection cover and the 'australian bushing' as spec'd in one of the many threads about this issue?

Anyone successfully retrofit the '04 torque limiter using just the small inspection cover and the 'australian bushing' as spec'd in one of the many threads about this issue?

I haven't heard it done yet but I hope it can be done because I would like to have a spare side cover in the event I smack it on a rock.

I have updgraded mine using a bushing from Yamaha, the new side cover, and the torque limiter - no problems.

Jeff

Thanks for the info, Jeff. Just for total clarificaion, when you say 'new side cover' do which of these were changed? Was the bushing a drop-in, or did it need to be pressed in place? Sorry to be a pain, just wanted to make sure.

crankcover.jpg or tlcover.jpg

Heh, I guess in retrospect, that was kind of a stupid question on my part - Since the bushing was used, it clearly implies that the crankcase cover didn't change. But hey, better safe than sorry, right? :)

Just buy the small torque limiter cover, bushing, torque limiter gear and the 2 washers and tap the bushing into the existing crank case cover with a large punch while sill on the bike.

If it takes you more than 10 mins you shouldnt even change you own oil filter.

Cheers

Lightstorm

Thanks LS. Just wanted to confirm that the crankcase cover didn't need to come off for a big time press-in of the bushing, etc.

Lightstorm hit the nail on the head - a little harsh but accurate!

Jeff

Ordered parts for the 03 to 04 upgrade.

They are finally all in.

Going to switch it out this weekend or next weekend.

Looks fairly easy . . .

Installation is easy. Took me about an hour of taking my time to do everything including the sidecover. www.wr450.com has all of the instruction you will ever need. Only difference is that the washers go on both sides of the starter clutch.

By the way I had my dealer search for the bushing and it was not in his computer. I now have an extra sidecover in need of the bushing. Has anyone else had this problem?

My dealer also could not find the part number for the bushing, he brought it up on some other Yamaha parts site.

I am sure that we can get a standard bushing from Glacier Garlock that is self lubricated and will work better than the Yamaha factory bushing. The part number for Glacier Garlock bushing is # MB-1012DU and they cost about $1.50 each. They are the best. Using sintered metal process with impregnated self lubricating design. They also have thrust washers. :) See this link for more info: http://www.ahrinternational.com/glacier_bearings.htm

my dealer had the same problem. just have them call it in. the number is good. it seems to have some sort of coating on the inside (teflon?).

I’ve got an extra bushing! Did my 04 conversion today and bought an extra in case of some mishap. Will trade bushing to any TT member for a Yamaha sticker for my ski helmet. I'll do the honor system. Send me your address and I'll mail it out. Two dealers in my area also couldn't find the part number. One finally found it on a dealer only site. Don't waste your money on a whole new side cover. Get the .86 cent bushing. Feel lots better about the bikes reliability now that I did the conversion. Only problem is we got 8 inches of snow today. That sucks!!!

Glenm

Just buy the small torque limiter cover, bushing, torque limiter gear and the 2 washers and tap the bushing into the existing crank case cover with a large punch while sill on the bike.

If it takes you more than 10 mins you shouldnt even change you own oil filter.

Cheers

Lightstorm

I guess I am still unclear as to whether or not the side cover needs to be removed. My parts are on order and since I don't have them yet it's harder to visualize exactly what Lightstorm is talking about. Install bushing in side cover with punch while on bike. So, does the side cover need to be removed?

The Yamaha bushing part number given in other post is a good part number, USA owners need to add -00 to the exsisting part number then dealers will see it listed in their computer. :)

Leave the side cover on the bike