HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

DanielMerrick

Yz450fx riders !

4 posts in this topic

Looking for some feedback on how you find the fx 5th gear vs a yz450f

Debating on swapping out 5th since my

Motors out.. Looking for some feedback

Thanks [emoji106]

If you're talking about swapping out 5th from a YZ/F for the one from the WR/FX, I can tell you how that works.  It works great, but only if you also use the 4th gear from the WR/FX as well.  The gap from 4 to 5 is too big otherwise.  If you've ever ridden a 4 speed YZ450, you'll be familiar with how the first 4 in that setup is, because they're all virtually identical ratios.  Then you add 5th.  So it will widen the gap from 3 to 4 a little bit and add big long legs on top.  It clears 80 on a GPS on dirt now easily, and cruising fire and access roads at 60-65 doesn't sound like you're about to bust the bike's nuts.

When I first rode this gearbox, I had 13/48 gearing on the bike for a little more top end for desert races.  Stock is 13/49.  Too tall with that setup to make much use of 5th gear at all, so I dropped to a 13/50 and it works real nice that way.  Not only do I have a much higher overall gear in 5th, but first gear is that much lower, too.  That may make a difference if you're not running a Rekluse.   for the cost of 4 gears and some gaskets, it's a great mod, and just about a perfect desert gearbox.

1 person likes this

If you're talking about swapping out 5th from a YZ/F for the one from the WR/FX, I can tell you how that works. It works great, but only if you also use the 4th gear from the WR/FX as well. The gap from 4 to 5 is too big otherwise. If you've ever ridden a 4 speed YZ450, you'll be familiar with how the first 4 in that setup is, because they're all virtually identical ratios. Then you add 5th. So it will widen the gap from 3 to 4 a little bit and add big long legs on top. It clears 80 on a GPS on dirt now easily, and cruising fire and access roads at 60-65 doesn't sound like you're about to bust the bike's nuts.

When I first rode this gearbox, I had 13/48 gearing on the bike for a little more top end for desert races. Stock is 13/49. Too tall with that setup to make much use of 5th gear at all, so I dropped to a 13/50 and it works real nice that way. Not only do I have a much higher overall gear in 5th, but first gear is that much lower, too. That may make a difference if you're not running a Rekluse. for the cost of 4 gears and some gaskets, it's a great mod, and just about a perfect desert gearbox.

Thank you once again Gray !

I'm currently running 13/50 and told me exactly what I was hoping to hear[emoji106]. I'm gonna order up the gears, hopefully they're not on backorder