So far not impressed with "Beta Quality"

While I would like to be posting glowing reviews of my '16 500 RS, so far it has mostly just pissed me off. It handles nicely, and has good power. I'll start with that. FI issues I'm not considering since it is still breaking in.

However, I have had issue after issue since I first rode it. Within the first 3 minutes of riding it it almost killed me. upper Coolant hose on the right radiator started spewing coolant all over me, my face, etc. Luckily I was close to home. Temp was only 185. Adjusted hose clamp and no more issue there.

20160410_075536.jpg

indicator lights on "dash" wonky and floppying around. Pretty easily fixed.

20160410_074329.jpg

Taillights pop out their slot and are angled and look stupid.. Ok, they are crap and probably should replace anyways. no biggie.

20160415_142525.jpg

Take it for my first ride in the desert, everything seems nice until I smell coolant. Great.Not coming from overflow, not a hose touching the header. Entire front of engine case is covered in coolant. Level is well below radiator fins. Great, there are like 5 more hose connection in there. I will need to remove the tank and redo them all. Maybe from pick I just need to tighten the temp sensor.

20160417_070056.jpg

Up to this point, I am trying to forgive and forget them all, but its getting harder and harder on the $11k bike.

So I am ready to do my 3 hour service and try to pull the front wheel to also put my tubliss in. No procedure in the manual (that I can find) but it talks about tightening the rotor side axle nut, so I start there (after loosening both side pinch bolts). It won't budge. I try the other side. It will move a little and then gets really tight. Iook and the axle looks bent! I work both sides back and forth and nothing, so I drop it back on the front tire and finally get it out.

20160418_102711.jpg

20160418_103040.jpg

Is this just pressed in [editting for clarification: It is pressed in]? Can i just hammer it in with my deadblow? Have a ride in 3 days. Not happy. WTF else is going to be done wrong.

Edited by basalt
  • Like 1

Axle seems true. The end cap that is the "nut part is askew and looks to have not been pressed in fully...

Hmm. Actually, I thought it was "hanging" because the end cap was askew and I thought the outer part was a flange that the outer fork surface rested against. But it does not appear to protrude past the axle at all, so that would not have been getting caught against the out fork surface as it turned...  so I don't know. Once I put weight on the tire it turned better, but still was hanging. Will give it a healthy slathering of anti-seize and see what happens. Fork action was very smooth before taking it off.

Edited by basalt
  • Like 1

Axle is not bent just pop-in cap is not seated.

Turn signals don't just pop out you probably kicked it mounting or dismount.

Bike did  not have a good PDI .  If so coolant hose would have shown up.

When filling rad remove screw on top of rh rad to purge air.

These problems are not a quality issue just a prep issue.

Later George

• Like 5

it's not pressed in, it's threaded in and can be removed if you want to install a quick puller.

seems like somebody was having a very bad day when your bike got put together, i'd be pretty pissed off ......

• Like 6

it's not pressed in, it's threaded in and can be removed if you want to install a quick puller.

seems like somebody was having a very bad day when your bike got put together, i'd be pretty pissed off ......

Crap, so its cross threaded  :foul:

EDIT: Pressed in

Edited by basalt

Not being a smart ass but do you expect to just pick up the bike from dealership and just ride it? Did you go over the bike and check all fasteners before swinging a leg over it? The axle nut is pressed in. Axle is not bent. Standard on most offroad bikes. Hell, you did not even remove the wheels and and grease axles before riding it. Dealer prep is one thing but come on pal. Broken turn signal. Big deal. Get some flush mounts. Radiator hose is 100% fault of the owner. 

FWIW, every fastener on dirt bike should be checked by the owner before riding and after each ride for the first few rides. I find it hard to believe anyone would pick up a new dirt bike from the dealer and just ride the damn thing without checking fasteners and at least removing wheels and greasing axles. Did you even remove the tires and baby powder the tubes before riding? 

Here is a picture of what should be done before even swinging a leg over the bike. This is my bike being torn apart, greased and and prepped before even hitting the dirt. If you expect to be riding the desert miles from home it's important you get acquainted with your machine. This might be a little more than what the average guy would do. But seeing as this was my first Beta, I deemed it necessary. Front end came off as well. Tires removed and powdered, duct tape instead of rim strip. No grease as my Beta was soaked in it from the factory. I still checked though. It was then carefully reassembled and every fastener checked again.

P5280025.jpg

Every offroad bike I ever owned gets the about the same treatment when bringing home. Exception was my Ninja 650R. Just checked fasteners and rode it. 

• Like 8

No I'm almost 100% positive it's pressed in. I have the quick pull and it has the "hand guard" style insert.

I

I think you are wrong. At least mine was pressed in.

• Like 1

No I'm almost 100% positive it's pressed in. I have the quick pull and it has the "hand guard" style insert.

I

When you reinstall it put a few drops of Red Locktite on the nut and tap it in. Lessen learned is to tear this baby down to the frame and check everything. FWIW after reassembling my Beta, I had zero issues until snapping off my footpeg!! LOL!! Oh and my stupid little aftermarket vent cap causing bike to get vapor lock.

Edited by ballisticexchris
  • Like 1

why do people get criticized directly or implied for not being happy with things of this nature? I pull any new bike apart and go thru it before riding, but certainly don't expect everyone to do the same, These bikes really ought to be ready and not have this sort of issue(s). Sorta like blaming the victim/buyer.

• Like 36

I

Tim Pilg just got back to me almost instantly and confirmed it is pressed in with loctite so thats good. And it looks like the most "major" issue is poor workmanship during assembly. 

I've got to say, I've seen at least 2 other bikes complain about coolant leaks first ride. I remember one was "fixed" with evans which really just masks the problem since it lowers the pressure.

Not being a smart ass but do you expect to just pick up the bike from dealership and just ride it? Did you go over the bike and check all fasteners before swinging a leg over it? The axle nut is pressed in. Axle is not bent. Standard on most offroad bikes. Hell, you did not even remove the wheels and and grease axles before riding it. Dealer prep is one thing but come on pal. Broken turn signal. Big deal. Get some flush mounts. Radiator hose is 100% fault of the owner. 

FWIW, every fastener on dirt bike should be checked by the owner before riding and after each ride for the first few rides. I find it hard to believe anyone would pick up a new dirt bike from the dealer and just ride the damn thing without checking fasteners and at least removing wheels and greasing axles. Did you even remove the tires and baby powder the tubes before riding? 

Here is a picture of what should be done before even swinging a leg over the bike. This is my bike being torn apart, greased and and prepped before even hitting the dirt. If you expect to be riding the desert miles from home it's important you get acquainted with your machine. This might be a little more than what the average guy would do. But seeing as this was my first Beta, I deemed it necessary. Front end came off as well. Tires removed and powdered, duct tape instead of rim strip. No grease as my Beta was soaked in it from the factory. I still checked though. It was then carefully reassembled and every fastener checked again.

P5280025.jpg

Every offroad bike I ever owned gets the about the same treatment when bringing home. Exception was my Ninja 650R. Just checked fasteners and rode it. 

LOL

You do realize the bearings are in the wheels and sealed, so really no reason to remove the axles and grease them? They got anti sieze within 50 miles for reasons that are irrelevant.

how the fawk is the radiator hoses, connections my fault?

Edited by basalt
  • Like 12

While you have it torn down don't forget to check all your

LOL

You do realize the bearings are in the wheels and sealed, so really no reason to remove the axles and grease them?

how that fawk is the radiator hoses, connections my fault?

Wrong sir. Axles need to be greased and don't forget to check all electrical fasteners. I unplug, reroute, zip tie, and put dielectric grease in all of them. Hose was your fault for not checking before you rode. 

• Like 1

I'd reckon so, but maybe i'm wrong, it was three years ago i installed my quick puller, i'm sure i clamped it in the forks and undid it with a socket,  it was many many beers ago...

My 498 came superbly PDed, and i believe any dealer should take pride in delivering a bike that is ready to ride. Not need to be stripped and checked.

• Like 6

I'd reckon so, but maybe i'm wrong, it was three years ago i installed my quick puller, i'm sure i clamped it in the forks and undid it with a socket,  it was many many beers ago...

My 498 came superbly PDed, and i believe any dealer should take pride in delivering a bike that is ready to ride. Not need to be stripped and checked.

If you notice, mine was done in the dealers shop. 

While you have it torn down don't forget to check all your

Wrong sir. Axles need to be greased and don't forget to check all electrical fasteners. I unplug, reroute, zip tie, and put dielectric grease in all of them. Hose was your fault for not checking before you rode. 

You're wrong. 90% of people buying these won't do what you did. They are charging far too much if that is what they expect. I am not going to accept that. They get my bad review as a consequence. Tim's reply was basically - this is what we have a 12 month warranty for, to makeup for crappy workmanship.

Hose clamp was tight. It was just on wrong and visually looked fine. I wouldn't have caught anything until it was spewing coolant.

EDIT: And please explain to me why the axle needs grease?

Edited by basalt
  • Like 4