More info on YZ450FX

Looking for more info on the 450FX from guys that have them. Looking at new bikes hopefully in the next 6-12 months. The 450FX has caught my attention. Bikes that have my interest are the KTM 500 xc-w, KTM 300 xc-w and the 450FX. More than likely will stay with a 4 stroke but the big 2 stroke has me thinking. Any feedback on the 450FX would be great. Thanks 

Have you gone through this thread yet? There are many reviews from lots of riders and former KTM owners, plus you'll find every magazine review and some that compare the 450FX against the 450XC-w. FX hasn't lost yet and that's even with KTM's new 2016 platform.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1161152-Anyone-pick-up-a-450FX-yet%3F

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460301950.894471.jpg

Edited by RMK800

Have my FX sitting in the garage setting it up for the first ride. Broke my thumb so it will be sitting for another six weeks. As a previous owner of 25 ktms I will tell you that the 300 XCW is about the furthest away from an FX as you can possibly get.

There is no compassion between the Kyb sss and open chamber WP forks.

Same goes for the linkage on the Yamaha vs the Ktm PDS.

Can you make the Ktm suspension performance equal to the yamahas? No, but you can get it closer. Just add another thousand into a already over priced bike. Sorry if that burst your bubble. But it's the truth. Just trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes as I did. If suspension is not important to you then get the Ktm. What the Ktm 300 is good at is tight woods, although the 250 is better. On the 300 you have to keep it moving or it will boil, or add a fan to a already overpriced bike. I went for the 250x for the tight stuff and it's never boiled.

I've ridden the 500 and owned the 450. 500 feels like a wallowing pig compared to the 450. In the tight stuff their fun because they have a fan, at speed they show their weight (see suspension again). There's my 2 cents. Good luck.

• Like 1

Have my FX sitting in the garage setting it up for the first ride. Broke my thumb so it will be sitting for another six weeks. As a previous owner of 25 ktms I will tell you that the 300 XCW is about the furthest away from an FX as you can possibly get.

Can you make the Ktm suspension performance equal to the yamahas? No, but you can get it closer. Just add another thousand into a already over priced bike. Sorry if that burst your bubble. But it's the truth. Just trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes as I did. If suspension is not important to you then get the Ktm. What the Ktm 300 is good at is tight woods, although the 250 is better. On the 300 you have to keep it moving or it will boil, or add a fan to a already overpriced bike. I went for the 250x for the tight stuff and it's never boiled.

I've ridden the 500 and owned the 450. 500 feels like a wallowing pig compared to the 450. In the tight stuff their fun because they have a fan, at speed they show their weight (see suspension again). There's my 2 cents. Good luck.

Thats supposed to be comparison between the forks not compassion.  Sorry, typing on pain killers.

Have you gone through this thread yet? There are many reviews from lots of riders and former KTM owners, plus you'll find every magazine review and some that compare the 450FX against the 450XC-w. FX hasn't lost yet and that's even with KTM's new 2016 platform.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1161152-Anyone-pick-up-a-450FX-yet%3F

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460301950.894471.jpg

Yeah, I have read some of it. Have only seen a couple of reviews and no shootouts yet with the bikes. I want to hear from guys riding them every weekend, the average joe. All bikes are badass when brand new. 

Not bursting my bubble. I don't care, I've never been brand loyal. I ride what I like. Personally if they still made my 07 KTM 525 XC-W I would buy another one in a heart beat. It has been a great bike. I'm 260lbs without gear so suspension gets done regardless of what brand. As far as linkage I don't miss it. Not fast enough for it to matter I guess. I would love to be able to do a shootout with all the bikes and see for myself. 

As far as the 300 goes I'm not sure I want to go the 2 stroke route but I do like that bike. Rode  KTM 200 with a Rekluse and I was impressed although I would want more power for hills. 

Been away from Yamaha since 08 when I sold my 04 YZ 450. Loved that bike. Won a local MX series championship with it, got hurt the next year and then started riding woods with it. It was decent for the woods but it's hard to get a MX bike right for the woods. 

The rfs 520 engine is entirely different than the new efi power plants. No more 15hr valve adjustment intervals, sucking dirt through the top of the carbs. 500 hasn't changed since 2012 other than a pankel rod in 14. Find a left over 15 and save some money vs paying 10k+ for a new one. Sounds to me you'd be better off with a WR.

Where are you riding? Technical mountain trails? Desert? MX?

The 300 2 stroke is unbeatable in super technical gnarly terrain. That's why it's the bike of choice for extreme enduro.

I can't believe someone would pick a 250X over a 300 XC-W. That is ludicrous IMO.

The 300 is not great for high speed riding or MX.

If I was riding desert a 450FX would be my top choice.

I've spent a couple days on a 14 500 XC-W in technical terrain and it works really well. It's very mild compared to an MX 450.

I despise the old WRs and X hondas. Super soft suspension with no power and heavy!

I think the KTM 350 XC-F is one of the most versatile bikes out there. Not as good as 300 2T is gnarly stuff but a lot more controllable then a 450 but a lot more power then a 250F.

I currently have 300 2T, which you would have to pry out of my cold dead hands for technical single track. But I also have 450R Honda I would like to upgrade. I'm thinking 350 XC-F or 450 FX myself

How many of us ride extreme enduro? Unless you like steamed clams, you have to at least run a fan or Evans coolant in a 300 for extreme riding. The 350 xcf is even worse. I've owned them both. The 350 is a good race bike, trails, not so much. You can add a fan but no connection on the wiring harness like the 300.

• Like 1

Where are you riding? Technical mountain trails? Desert? MX?

The 300 2 stroke is unbeatable in super technical gnarly terrain. That's why it's the bike of choice for extreme enduro.

I can't believe someone would pick a 250X over a 300 XC-W. That is ludicrous IMO.

The 300 is not great for high speed riding or MX.

If I was riding desert a 450FX would be my top choice.

I've spent a couple days on a 14 500 XC-W in technical terrain and it works really well. It's very mild compared to an MX 450.

I despise the old WRs and X hondas. Super soft suspension with no power and heavy!

I think the KTM 350 XC-F is one of the most versatile bikes out there. Not as good as 300 2T is gnarly stuff but a lot more controllable then a 450 but a lot more power then a 250F.

I currently have 300 2T, which you would have to pry out of my cold dead hands for technical single track. But I also have 450R Honda I would like to upgrade. I'm thinking 350 XC-F or 450 FX myself

I disagree with this 100%.

That's why we have choices.

• Like 1

How many of us ride extreme enduro? Unless you like steamed clams, you have to at least run a fan or Evans coolant in a 300 for extreme riding. The 350 xcf is even worse. I've owned them both. The 350 is a good race bike, trails, not so much. You can add a fan but no connection on the wiring harness like the 300.

I'm surprised about the 300 overheating, I have a 14 Husqvarna TE 300 that has 100 race hrs on it (enduros, harescambles and gp's) and I haven't added one drop of coolant to what came in it. I'm in New England and I don't know what every one else considers "tight single track" but it's about as slow and technical as it gets and no overheating no mater how hot, maybe other parts of the country it's different? I also own a new 450 fx, not a great technical single track bike in my opinion, easy to stall and pulls like a freight train, I just ordered a tuner so hoping to dial it in better. On the matter of suspension the fx is hands down better out of the box, but after my fourth revalve I've got the husky working amazing (yes you'll have to spend $1000 on the 4cs forks). Both bikes are awesome in there own way, fast atv two track, hill climbs and occasional mx, fx all the way, riding where the billy goats live I'll take the husky. Btw I've ridden the 500 xcw also, the one I rode the suspension was awfull but not set up for me, however I thought the motor was amazing, probably one of the smoothest four stroke motor I've ever ridden. All just one persons opinion of course.

I'm surprised about the 300 overheating, I have a 14 Husqvarna TE 300 that has 100 race hrs on it (enduros, harescambles and gp's) and I haven't added one drop of coolant to what came in it. I'm in New England and I don't know what every one else considers "tight single track" but it's about as slow and technical as it gets and no overheating no mater how hot, maybe other parts of the country it's different? I also own a new 450 fx, not a great technical single track bike in my opinion, easy to stall and pulls like a freight train, I just ordered a tuner so hoping to dial it in better. On the matter of suspension the fx is hands down better out of the box, but after my fourth revalve I've got the husky working amazing (yes you'll have to spend $1000 on the 4cs forks). Both bikes are awesome in there own way, fast atv two track, hill climbs and occasional mx, fx all the way, riding where the billy goats live I'll take the husky. Btw I've ridden the 500 xcw also, the one I rode the suspension was awfull but not set up for me, however I thought the motor was amazing, probably one of the smoothest four stroke motor I've ever ridden. All just one persons opinion of course.

Do you have a fan on the husky? I've seen video's of Jarvis overheating 300's.  All my friends have fans on theirs and run as soon as it gets tight.

Do you have a fan on the husky? I've seen video's of Jarvis overheating 300's.  All my friends have fans on theirs and run as soon as it gets tight.

No fan on the Husky, put one on the fx though. I guess over heating a 300 is just one more thing Graham Jarvis can do that I can't.
  • Like 2

The 500 XC-W is an excellent bike.  I thought it was one of the better four strokes I've rode in technical terrain.

However, the suspension is soft with open cartridge forks and you have a lot less RPM to work with vs the 450FX.  Rev limiter is like 9000 RPM on the 500 while I believe the Yamaha 450 is 11,500 RPM.

Don't expect the long overrev of a 450 with the 500.  The 500 is very torquey but gives up top end horsepower to the 450.

If you want stiffer suspension, the Husky 501 has the 4CS forks which are stiffer.  Although reviews on those forks have not been that great.    

Just an observation. 

It turns out that the muffler is a very important part of tuning a YZ450FX.  This article on the 2016 WR450F explains why.  http://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2016-yamaha-wr450f/

What gear are you in when you stall ?