HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

MidlifeCrisisGuy

Setting up a YZ450FX for shootout/demo day ?

14 posts in this topic

A local dealer is going to let some of us use a YZ450FX for a day.  A bunch of us are interested in buying one.   We are going to compare it to our stable of bikes including my 2012 WR450F, my 2015 YZ250FX, a 2015 YZ450F and possibly a stock 2015 WR450F.  We'll do a shootout of sorts, on the trails we usually ride.

Our bikes have all been tweaked with gearing, springs, tires and sometimes maps.  We'll have the 450FX for 24 hours, so we have a bit of time to play with it.

I'm wondering what we should do to the loaner YZ450FX in order to optimize it for comparison with our bikes ?

- respring the shock ?  We all weigh over 200 pounds.

- probably can't touch the forks, other than clickers

- program it for softer low end power ?

- change tires ? 

We want to get the best bike to bike comparison we can in the 24 hours we have the FX.  Anything else we should consider ?

I know a guy with a KTM 350 XCF.  I'm hoping I can convince him to join the group, but it isn't looking likely.   

Ride it stock first then discuss mods. But I have my doubts modding a bike by committee will make anyone happy. Should be fun though. Very unusual, never had a dealer in my area that would even entertain that idea.

1 person likes this

Besides, it's an $8000 item that belongs to someone else.  You really have no business monkeying with it.

2 people like this

I think you should put a full fmf 4.1 Ti exhaust system on it.

We need a spark arrestor where we ride, so I'm probably going to slip on a Q4 that I bought for my YZ250FX.

I'd remove the e-start and put your 12/60 gearing on that bad boy and let-er rip!

4 people like this

13/52 sprockets, Q4, stock map, 2 or 3 clicks stiffer on the shock rebound. This is how I have mine setup minus the springs for my weight. It will be damn near unstoppable. After reading a lot of your previous posts I'd say we have the same sensibilities on how we like our bike set up. Whether it's right or wrong is up for debate.

2 people like this

Set the sag as best you can for the middleweight rider in the group then just play around with the clickers. Add the spark arrestor, like you said, to be legal. Bring a Powertuner and be happy that you have a shop that will let you flog a bike before buying. Consider taking a collection and leaving the pipe on when you return it. Unless you're absolutely going to buy it I wouldn't make any other changes.

1 person likes this

13/52 sprockets, Q4, stock map, 2 or 3 clicks stiffer on the shock rebound. This is how I have mine setup minus the springs for my weight. It will be damn near unstoppable. After reading a lot of your previous posts I'd say we have the same sensibilities on how we like our bike set up. Whether it's right or wrong is up for debate.

Depending upon speed and rider weight etc. if your doing this in tight woods I would loosen the compression on the fork and shock two clicks.

A local dealer is going to let some of us use a YZ450FX for a day. A bunch of us are interested in buying one. We are going to compare it to our stable of bikes including my 2012 WR450F, my 2015 YZ250FX, a 2015 YZ450F and possibly a stock 2015 WR450F. We'll do a shootout of sorts, on the trails we usually ride.

Our bikes have all been tweaked with gearing, springs, tires and sometimes maps. We'll have the 450FX for 24 hours, so we have a bit of time to play with it.

I'm wondering what we should do to the loaner YZ450FX in order to optimize it for comparison with our bikes ?

- respring the shock ? We all weigh over 200 pounds.

- probably can't touch the forks, other than clickers

- program it for softer low end power ?

- change tires ?

We want to get the best bike to bike comparison we can in the 24 hours we have the FX. Anything else we should consider ?

I know a guy with a KTM 350 XCF. I'm hoping I can convince him to join the group, but it isn't looking likely.

Well?

Well?

I've been too busy to set this up.  I've only been out riding a couple times in the last 3 weeks.

FWIW, I just bought a used YZ450FX.  I came across a good deal and pulled the trigger.  I never did get the demo day set up.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy