HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

SinisterMatti

Wiring a keyed ignition WR400F

9 posts in this topic

I don't doubt that I'll receive quite a few "use the search feature" replies to this thread, but every single post I've found that is relevant either turns out to be about a bike with electric start (mine has no battery and runs only on the stator) or someone posts a link and says "all your questions are answered here" and it's a dead link.  I've gone as far as I can go with my knowledge of electronics (limited as it may be) and the available information i've found on this forum.

I have a 2000WR400F that has been converted for street use with blinkers/horn/etc. The left side has a typical switch with the blinker and horn on bottom and a three position switch on the top (off/parking lights/headlight) and a trigger type kill switch on the back (pictured below). When the light switch is set to the rear position (with the dot) the bike will not start. My plan for wiring in a keyed ignition switch was to tie into whatever electrical wire is attached to the P and H spots on the switch. I discovered a red wire shared by both P and H, so spliced my switch into that wire further down the wiring loom. For some reason this put my blinkers only on the ignition. The bike still starts and stops regardless of key position. I tried several other wires, but the closest I got was a blue/white and black/white wire that goes from the loom down the frame. When I disconnected those wires, the bike would start, but the kill switch and putting the light switch to the dot would not kill the bike. I had to reconnect the wires to kill the bike, so basically the opposite of what I'm trying to do. I have everything reverted back to how it was wired before I started working on it, and I'm out of ideas. The switch in question is http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/45666/i/k-s-technologies-dot-approved-turn-signal-switches

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0000-K-S-Technologies-DOT-Approved-Turn-

It all depends on what you want to be 'switched'. 

You could simply use the key as a kill button, or you could use it as a power interupt to the starter relay.

Search on line for DS key wiring diagrams

Edited by KRANNIE

It all depends on what you want to be 'switched'. 

You could simply use the key as a kill button, or you could use it as a power interupt to the starter relay.

Search on line for DS key wiring diagrams

The problem is that this is a kickstart only bike. Please forgive my lack of electrical knowledge but does my kickstart bike even have a starter relay? It doesn't have a battery and runs purely on the stator. Looking at the results that came up with the DS Key Wiring Diagram search, I think the kill switch is wired differently on the bikes with electric start.

The problem is that this is a kickstart only bike. Please forgive my lack of electrical knowledge but does my kickstart bike even have a starter relay? It doesn't have a battery and runs purely on the stator. Looking at the results that came up with the DS Key Wiring Diagram search, I think the kill switch is wired differently on the bikes with electric start.

Yeah, no estart I forgot

Sorry to keep pushing this, but I'm sure someone somewhere on this form has done this with a WR400F. There must be a wire I can interrupt which will stop the bike from starting up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seems you can work with the kill switch wires. Key them so there always grounded when off. Can't kick start your bike when your thumbs on the kill button.

Sorry to keep pushing this, but I'm sure someone somewhere on this form has done this with a WR400F. There must be a wire I can interrupt which will stop the bike from starting up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again, if you can put the key switch on the kill button circuit......

Edited by KRANNIE

Does the WR400 not have a rocker switch behind the headlight? For some reason I would've assumed it did. On my WR450 I replaced that with a Baja Designs switch.

If it doesn't, I'd figure out what the kill button does and then wire it up so both work. If the kill button interrupts power/ground when you push it, wire them in series. If it provides power/ground when you push it, wire them in parallel.