450FX oil change gas smell

FYI, the ECU uses 2 temperatures to set the A/F mixture.  Coolant and intake air temp.  Just because the coolant is up to temp doesn't mean that the ECU isn't going to get the injector to deliver an overly rich mixture because the air intake temp is still low.  The ECU is calculating the A/F ratio based on the incoming air density, so that means it is using AIT.  It will lean things out somewhat for coolant temp, but it isn't a huge amount compared to AIT.

FWIW, I ride my 2012 WR450F in winter up to 8,000 ft.    It floods horribly during start up at temps below about 30F.  Once it warms a bit it seems OK, but Yamaha is way, way off on the AF mixture during start up.  And if you happen to stall it during warm up the ONLY way to get it running is to tow it.  I'm guessing that when you tow it the engine spins over above the usual starting RPM and the mixture leans out and then it will clear and fire. 

The quick and easy way to get these bikes running warmer without using a thermostat is to put cardboard in front of the radiator.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

http://shop.watt-man.com/Snow-Bikes_c7.htm

Depending on radiator hose sizes on the YZ, you may also be able to run a KTM housing and thermostat.  I bought one for my KX but never installed it, not sure if the YZ uses the same size hoses but I'm guessing it would be at least close enough to work.

Thanks for the link. I imagine that + a fan might make jetting easier.

I sent an email to a Yamaha rep on this issue.  Here are his replies.

"We have no reports attributed to this with stock units from factory."

When I pointed him to this and other Thumpertalk threads he stated:

"I am afraid these are modified units used as a snowbike which is not recommended, tested nor allowed by our factory. We cannot guarantee what might happen in a situation like this…. "

When I explained that my WR suffers from flooding during cold starts and that we ride stock bikes in cold temperatures at at high altitudes, sending him a few pictures of our winter rides, he stated:

"I am very sorry however they are not designed for cold temps nor high altitudes neither….."

The pictures of the winter rides had a KTM 350 and KTM 450 in them, which start and run fine.

So I guess that I am done with Yamaha bikes.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

If you are going to mock me, then let me mock you without deleting my posts.

"I am afraid these are modified units used as a snowbike which is not recommended, tested nor allowed by our factory. We cannot guarantee what might happen in a situation like this…. "

When I explained that my WR suffers from flooding during cold starts and that we ride stock bikes in cold temperatures at at high altitudes, sending him a few pictures of our winter rides, he stated:

"I am very sorry however they are not designed for cold temps nor high altitudes neither….."

The pictures of the winter rides had a KTM 350 and KTM 450 in them, which start and fun fine.

Virtually all manufactuers will give you the same reply.

You scare me....

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

The pictures of the winter rides had a KTM 350 and KTM 450 in them, which start and run fine.

That is such an ignorant reaction to what is pretty much a standard answer you would get from any manufacturer when asking the same question. 

That is such an ignorant reaction to what is pretty much a standard answer you would get from any manufacturer when asking the same question. 

It's all fun and irrelevant until your new FX needs a new engine because the oil got diluted with gasoline. 

Keep in mind I'm already frustrated with how my WR starts (or doesn't) in the cold.  And how the FI WR450Fs estart in general. 

I don't think it is too much to ask Yamaha to spend a couple days improving its fuel maps calibration.

Has anyone tried running a really lean fuel map ?  -3s or -5s ?

P3170058.JPG

The 2016 WR450's start like magic. The earlier fi models had issues.