Got My Plate Today

Woo Hoo and Yea Buddy.

Got my plate today.

Last week I could not even spell Dual Sport...Now I are one.

The Sierras are a calling.

IMG_1646.JPG

Really surprised this did not generate a bunch of "How did you do it in California" questions.

I just saw that and was about to ask that... I'd love to pick up a cheap aluminum frame EFI WR to replace my 03 supermoto.

I'll bite. :)  How did you do it?

I'll bite. :)  How did you do it?

Rolled my own light install. Did not go the Baja Designs or Tusk prefab route.

A buddy owns a shop and he wrote me a brake and light inspection form to take to DMV.

Now here is the kicker...choose carefully which DMV you go to.

The first attempt I went to the big local one and got shot down. The guy who did the inspection of my bike was a real "Deputy Dog" I think he enjoyed busting my balls.

He dinged me for not having an odometer, trip meter not good enough. And did not have a federal highway safety sticker.

A couple of days later after licking my wounds I drove an hour and 20 to an outlying small town DMV. Only had a 10 minute wait before they called my number.

Their inspector did not get into the back of my truck to have a look. He had me read the VIN and engine numbers to him. Then said "Your stickers are probably under the seat" and that was it.

Went back inside, paid $97, completed the process and walked out with a plate.

Rather be lucky than good.

Edited by falconjet

I've heard of people getting plates and later getting yanked, I hope that doesn't happen to you. 

My WR got a plate because it was previously plated in Texas and came in with "7500" miles (or a few more), which is an exemption to meeting CA emissions requirements.

Rolled my own light install. Did not go the Baja Designs or Tusk prefab route.

A buddy owns a shop and he wrote me a brake and light inspection form to take to DMV.

Now here is the kicker...choose carefully which DMV you go to.

The first attempt I went to the big local one and got shot down. The guy who did the inspection of my bike was a real "Deputy Dog" I think he enjoyed busting my balls.

He dinged me for not having an odometer, trip meter not good enough. And did not have a federal highway safety sticker.

A couple of days later after licking my wounds I drove an hour and 20 to an outlying small town DMV. Only had a 10 minute wait before they called my number.

Their inspector did not get into the back of my truck to have a look. He had me read the VIN and engine numbers to him. Then said "Your stickers are probably under the seat" and that was it.

Went back inside, paid $97, completed the process and walked out with a plate.

Rather be lucky than good.

Did you get a copy of the signed and stamped State and Federal EPA compliance form ?

Did you get a copy of the signed and stamped State and Federal EPA compliance form ?

Nope. Did not see one.

Nope. Did not see one.

Then it's not permanent

Pessimist...my brother in law has had his CA plated WR for 5 years w/o any stinking stamped form.

I know a gal with a plated Razer thingy. No issues. Once they get your plated registration money every year it's addicting to them.

And I know someone who had a plate yanked on a WR, he got it shortly after they stopped officially allowing them. For all I know they don't look now.

Pessimist...my brother in law has had his CA plated WR for 5 years w/o any stinking stamped form.

I didn't say it will be revoked......but the paperwork is not complete, so it can be.