2016 YZ450FX exhaust and mapping

I just bought a Dr. D full exhaust for my bike and I've been looking around to try and find some mapping tips after I install the kit. I have the tuner. I've never mapped before but don't feel like spending the extra money to have the shop do it for me because the shops around me charge an arm and a leg. Any tips or advice? I live at 5000ft above sea level and I don't ride tracks as of right now.

I think if you contact Dr D they will give you some suggestions for that exhaust

I'm curious as to why you think an aftermarket exhaust is needed.

The stock exhaust is restrictive and does not have a spark arrester. So why not solve two problems at once. Plus the exhaust I bought is louder

The stock exhaust is restrictive and does not have a spark arrester. So why not solve two problems at once. Plus the exhaust I bought is louder

It's a bit inaccurate to call the stock exhaust restrictive, and the fact that the new one is louder is not a positive.  The only thing about the stock pipe that needs to be addressed is the small reduction in diameter at the open end that was done to reduce noise to the required levels, which cuts a little bit into the very top end of the rev range.  Otherwise, the stock pipe's only disadvantage is that it's slightly heavy. 

Typically, excluding the '08-'09 shorty exhaust, aftermarket pipes will add no more than 2 hp tops to any otherwise stock YZ450, usually less.  Their benefits often come more in the form of wider torque curves and such rather than raw gain, and most of them require very little fuel adjustment.

The big factor as well is they do not have a spark arrested which is required by law in my state as well as many states. The hp gain helps improve the hp to weight ratio as long as you are performing other weight reduction. As far as the torque curve is greatly needed seeing as I live in a valley with nothing but mountains around me and other plus is that the after market exhaust to me looks better than the stock and has a better crisper exhaust note.

With a pro Moto billet end cap for around $150. You get about the same as any aftermarket perforated core straight through exhaust with a spark arrestor on that bike. Well other than looks and weight.

I saw no need to replace the stocker.  A S/A is required in AZ also, so for $142 bucks I got the PMB.  It's a quality item.  Looks great and certainly no louder than stock. 

I wish I would have known about that sooner I already have the full exhaust kit just have to install it this afternoon

I wish I would have known about that sooner I already have the full exhaust kit just have to install it this afternoon

Ah nothing wrong with a new pipe either.

Yeah I'm pretty happy about it. My buddy has one on his 09 yz450 and loves it so I'm ready to see what it will do

Here is some pictures of the new exhaust set up. Took about 2 hours to install and being tested tomorrow

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

With a pro Moto billet end cap for around $150. You get about the same as any aftermarket perforated core straight through exhaust with a spark arrestor on that bike. Well other than looks and weight.

How much does that cap weigh ?  It looks heavy.

CSXEyeHUAAAdJlF.jpg

How much does that cap weigh ?  It looks heavy.

It's really insignificant.  

So for those running the stock exhaust on the FX, are you finding any benefits to playing with the mapping?  I don't have the bike yet, but I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a GYTR tuner so I went ahead and bought it.  I figure if worse comes to worse I can break even by re-selling the tuner.  Hoping to get my KX sold in a jiffy so I can go pick up an FX :D

How many hours you got on the bike already? Let us know the difference between the 2.

I've been playing with the mapping on my FX and wondering if y'all could give me a few pointers. I'll attach a photo of the settings I'm currently using. I can't remember where I got them from but it was from one of the dirt bike magazine websites I believe. The problem is, the bike seems to run really hot. I have an FMF 4.1 RCT muffler with stock header. Are my settings way lean? Should I go to 0 or +1, +2, etc? Is the stock "0" map richer than what I currently have loaded in my bike? I think that is probably the biggest question I have. I'm not sure if + is a softer hit or -. I was thinking - was but I'm thinking I'm not correct.

Thanks!

Mapping.jpg

Edited by jwilson32