RMK800

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

570 posts in this topic

I haven't had an vibration issues or clutch noise. Have over 60hrs, but I'll try to pay more attention on my next ride.

The only strange noise I've heard was after a boil over, heard a loud ticking noise which sounded like a valve. It showed up very obvious after the bike warmed up... when I pulled my radiator off to straighten it, I noticed the coolant level was fairly low. Put rad back on and serviced, no more noise. And hasn't done it since.

Edited by mxrider4life847

Anybody got their eyeballs on a 2017 450FX yet? I'm (not very patiently), awaiting the arrival of one and am very stoked.i already have Rad Guards, rotor guards, skid plate, swingarm guard, bib mousse inserts, hand guards, tall seat, big tank, risers, new front tire, chainguid, frame guards, number plate backgrounds...just need a bike to put it all on.

50 mile solo ride. Motor is bone stock with linear mapping FMF Megabomb. It rips.

Pretty amazing how these bikes are so neutral in handling and so smooth yet snappy in the power, huh....

I am still impressed.

Makes my fully built and set-up 450X feel like a muscle car with flat tires....

1 person likes this

supermoto kit.jpeg

I got things in the mail. Handlebars and grips went on for tomorrows hare scramble. Rest goes on tomorrow night! Pics to come...

4 people like this

No noise in the clutch area on mine. I'm really digging this bike!

One issue is the brake pedal tip is a little week. I talked to Grant Baylor's mechanic Cory MacDonald a couple weeks ago at the enduro and they're having the same issue. Anyone found a good replacement tip? I ordered this one. It's a little longer although that may be a good thing as I have a size 13 boot and hit the shifter accidentally a lot. Ill have to bolt it on as the OEM is riveted on. I'll report back once I put some rides on it.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/950/37482/Tusk-Aluminum-Brake-Pedal-Replacement-Toe-Tip

1 person likes this

No noise in the clutch area on mine. I'm really digging this bike!

One issue is the brake pedal tip is a little week. I talked to Grant Baylor's mechanic Cory MacDonald a couple weeks ago at the enduro and they're having the same issue. Anyone found a good replacement tip? I ordered this one. It's a little longer although that may be a good thing as I have a size 13 boot and hit the shifter accidentally a lot. Ill have to bolt it on as the OEM is riveted on. I'll report back once I put some rides on it.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/950/37482/Tusk-Aluminum-Brake-Pedal-Replacement-Toe-Tip

I am making one out of thick sheet steel, to bolt to the side of the pedal, and the cleats will Fastway allen-spikes.

Anybody got their eyeballs on a 2017 450FX yet? I'm (not very patiently), awaiting the arrival of one and am very stoked.i already have Rad Guards, rotor guards, skid plate, swingarm guard, bib mousse inserts, hand guards, tall seat, big tank, risers, new front tire, chainguid, frame guards, number plate backgrounds...just need a bike to put it all on.

What makes you so excited about the 2017? Isn't it just a 16 with black rims and the kickstarter removed?

1 person likes this

I just wanted to confirm that there's not a separate area for transmission fluid. I still can't believe this bike only takes .69 liters.

1 person likes this

What are you guys running for a good head light setup?  Looking at stock WR, but I'm sure aftermarket has better options.

As for gearing, I found the bike to be geared too slow from the factory...too much engine breaking.  I sped things up to a 13/48 and really like that...so 14/51 once I need to order new sprockets.

Ya gearing is all personal preference. I ride very long downhill and tighter single track and like the lower gearing and engine breaking. I don't mind a little bit of top end loss.

What are you guys running for a good head light setup?  Looking at stock WR, but I'm sure aftermarket has better options.

As for gearing, I found the bike to be geared too slow from the factory...too much engine breaking.  I sped things up to a 13/48 and really like that...so 14/51 once I need to order new sprockets.

I put on the Baja Design XL Pro for a headlight, but we ride at night a lot. 

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/xl-pro-yamaha-yz250fx-yz450fx-16-w-headlight-shell.asp

Edited by stevenfallover

Decisions decisions...  I've got the leaky fork syndrome and I'm trying to debate what to do.  I've heard they made some improvements to the fork for 2017 so I compared the part fiches and it looks like they changed two things.  1) a revised oil seal, and 2) they added what they call a scraper between the oil seal and the dust seal.

Should I get these items and do a rebuild or transition to something aftermarket like the SKF's?  I don't understand what makes these so different from the 450F forks from a seal perspective?

I put on the Baja Design XL Pro for a headlight, but we ride at night a lot. 

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/xl-pro-yamaha-yz250fx-yz450fx-16-w-headlight-shell.asp

Looks like a great setup, but I'm sure I can find something that works great for around $100.  I have a Trail Tech HID helmet light that works amazing for aggressive night riding, the front headlight for me is only necessary to get me out of a late ride.

Did you wire it to the battery directly with a switch or into the wiring harness somewhere?

Looks like a great setup, but I'm sure I can find something that works great for around $100.  I have a Trail Tech HID helmet light that works amazing for aggressive night riding, the front headlight for me is only necessary to get me out of a late ride.

Did you wire it to the battery directly with a switch or into the wiring harness somewhere?

Directly to the battery. It draws 40 watts.

I'll be setting mine up with a 6" LED light bar and tying into factory wiring, with a switch to turn the light off and on as desired.