RMK800

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

566 posts in this topic

how much louder is it then stock? I like how quiet the stocker is

The 4.1s are quite a bit louder, I got the q4 on mine and with the spark arrestor plug in it is very similar to stock sound. Made to meet max decibles for woods riding.

1 person likes this

That F4.1 is beautiful, and very tempting! I'm curious to see how it sounds compared to the factory muffler.

I took my fx out to the mx track Friday night for some moto under the lights, not knowing what to expect, I was fairly impressed. I became comfortable on it quite quickly in the corners. The suspension is certainly setup a little on the soft side, but I don't recall ever bottoming out. It tracked very well in some of the deep ruts. I did take the kickstand off in fear of it coming down on a landing. The weight was noticeable towards the end of my practice session, (about 16 laps). But then again, I'm used to buzzing around on my 250 2t. I really like how it felt coming out of the corners. It's explosive, but seemed fairly mellow compared to some of the other bikes, and I believe this can be remedied with a different ECU program.

Once I got more comfortable with gearing and throttle, I seemed to have found where the power really is, and started to overshoot some of the jumps. I'll keep practicing and getting more seat time, a few more suspension tweaks and I'm convinced this bike will be the absolute package.

So don't be afraid to take er out on some MX, you will be glad you did. I race mostly cross country and use the MX tracks for cornering/ruts practice and conditioning. I'm deffinately sore, and have not been this sore in a LONG time.

Check out this photo, I'm guessing the shrouds just stick out too far and im riding my boots on them in the corners..? Anyone else notice this?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1468815315.403107.jpg

That F4.1 is beautiful, and very tempting! I'm curious to see how it sounds compared to the factory muffler.

I took my fx out to the mx track Friday night for some moto under the lights, not knowing what to expect, I was fairly impressed. I became comfortable on it quite quickly in the corners. The suspension is certainly setup a little on the soft side, but I don't recall ever bottoming out. It tracked very well in some of the deep ruts. I did take the kickstand off in fear of it coming down on a landing. The weight was noticeable towards the end of my practice session, (about 16 laps). But then again, I'm used to buzzing around on my 250 2t. I really like how it felt coming out of the corners. It's explosive, but seemed fairly mellow compared to some of the other bikes, and I believe this can be remedied with a different ECU program.

Once I got more comfortable with gearing and throttle, I seemed to have found where the power really is, and started to overshoot some of the jumps. I'll keep practicing and getting more seat time, a few more suspension tweaks and I'm convinced this bike will be the absolute package.

So don't be afraid to take er out on some MX, you will be glad you did. I race mostly cross country and use the MX tracks for cornering/ruts practice and conditioning. I'm deffinately sore, and have not been this sore in a LONG time.

Check out this photo, I'm guessing the shrouds just stick out too far and im riding my boots on them in the corners..? Anyone else notice this?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1468815315.403107.jpg

At this point, I think it's actually quiter then the stock unit. Also, I feel it takes a bit of the off-idle lurchyness away making the bike more manageable...

Between the battery and exhaust I've dropped a solid 5lbs off the bike too...

20160717_154926_zpstblhtt0m.jpg

Edited by Monk
1 person likes this

At this point, I think it's actually quiter then the stock unit. Also, I feel it takes a bit of the off-idle lurchyness away making the bike more manageable...

Between the battery and exhaust I've dropped a solid 5lbs off the bike too...

20160717_154926_zpstblhtt0m.jpg

Hmmm... I didn't notice the off-idle lurch when my bike was brand new but it definitely has it now.  I may have to look into this at a later time when I have a few dollars to spend on the 'ol girl.

Made the mistake of riding a 250FX and loved the suspension. So I went and got a 450 FX. I've put about 4 hours on it. I came off 65 hours on a 2016 KTM 450 XC-F.

So far I've put black wheels, ape hanger handlebars, grips, handguards, lowered the sub-frame and made a cover for the electronics under the seat.

image.jpg

Made the mistake of riding a 250FX and loved the suspension. So I went and got a 450 FX. I've put about 4 hours on it. I came off 65 hours on a 2016 KTM 450 XC-F.

So far I've put black wheels, ape hanger handlebars, grips, handguards, lowered the sub-frame and made a cover for the electronics under the seat.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the 450xcf vs the 450FX...Thats a very parallel change, but for the better?

I bought the KTM. The price tag stings. Put handguards, 51 tooth rear sprocket (up 3 from stock), softer rear spring and traded the 4CS for open chamber forks. Suspension, of course, still beats the piss out of me in the choppy stuff. It's SUPER light. It's unbelievably smooth. Motor pulls forever. Relatively no engine braking. Corners like it's on rails. VERY low center of gravity. 65 hours and not one issue. I've changed oil, tires, brake pads and muffler packing. Never even charged the battery. I won the 40+ A class in my series on it.

Bought the YZ and made the changes above. Price tag is reasonable. Suspension is flawless. Gearing is spot on. Motor is very rideable. It's heavy. Heavy steering. Front end pushes in turns. It's VERY tall. Noticeably more engine braking. It's wide at the engine cases. Flat landed a small jump and bent both rims.

I need to spend some time on it and get used to it. But so far not a fan of the cable clutch. I don't like the airbox cover. The piece of a seat over the gas cap is weird. And all that with the engine tilted back is to lower the center of gravity. It feels like a top-heavy tank compared to the 2016 KTM. I see A LOT of unnecessary weight on it. The monstrosity of a footpeg/kickstand mount, fan mounts, heat shields, cable guides, battery, etc.

So it probably sounds like I'm partial to the KTM. I am. It "wowed" me from the first time I rode it. The YZ would have "wowed" me if I came off a 2015 or older KTM. But '15 to '16 is like apples to oranges.

But what it all boils down to is race results. I haven't raced the YZ yet. If my results are better then I'll keep it and adapt to its little quirks.

3 people like this

Interesting comparison between the two bikes. Good info. I do however hope that you end up liking the Yamaha over the pumpkin!

I sure woulda thought the FMF 4.1 would have been louder. Not too many tracks or series around here where I'm at are noise sticklers. I would imagine you could tune it down a little more with the tuner. Cant wait to try that out.

I put my motion pro fork bleeders on, very happy with them. I also put on one of my series racing plates. Looks a little better I think with some customization.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469757649.693791.jpg

I also did a fuel cap vent re-route. It turned out very well I thought. I didn't drill the holes in the airbox cover, instead I purchased a new fuel line long enough to route it down next to the throttle body, forward to piggy back off the coolant over flow drain line, down along the frame and behind the guard. I like it. And figure it will hold up well.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469757900.170416.jpg

Back to the night track tomorrow for hopefully the last big suspension setup session.

I bought the KTM. The price tag stings. Put handguards, 51 tooth rear sprocket (up 3 from stock), softer rear spring and traded the 4CS for open chamber forks. Suspension, of course, still beats the piss out of me in the choppy stuff. It's SUPER light. It's unbelievably smooth. Motor pulls forever. Relatively no engine braking. Corners like it's on rails. VERY low center of gravity. 65 hours and not one issue. I've changed oil, tires, brake pads and muffler packing. Never even charged the battery. I won the 40+ A class in my series on it.

Bought the YZ and made the changes above. Price tag is reasonable. Suspension is flawless. Gearing is spot on. Motor is very rideable. It's heavy. Heavy steering. Front end pushes in turns. It's VERY tall. Noticeably more engine braking. It's wide at the engine cases. Flat landed a small jump and bent both rims.

I need to spend some time on it and get used to it. But so far not a fan of the cable clutch. I don't like the airbox cover. The piece of a seat over the gas cap is weird. And all that with the engine tilted back is to lower the center of gravity. It feels like a top-heavy tank compared to the 2016 KTM. I see A LOT of unnecessary weight on it. The monstrosity of a footpeg/kickstand mount, fan mounts, heat shields, cable guides, battery, etc.

So it probably sounds like I'm partial to the KTM. I am. It "wowed" me from the first time I rode it. The YZ would have "wowed" me if I came off a 2015 or older KTM. But '15 to '16 is like apples to oranges.

But what it all boils down to is race results. I haven't raced the YZ yet. If my results are better then I'll keep it and adapt to its little quirks.

I've read so many different comparisons on the two bikes but wow this is gold. 

It's funny how everyone's opinion is so different. I have the same feeling,just exact opposite bikes. But It was the 16 and 17's that I rode. only a short amount of time on them. they felt top heavy and clunky to me. Only time my 450fx feels heavy is when It on it's side.  It was a little heavy steering until I had the suspension revalved and sprung for me. I have 20hrs on bike and so far I love it.

Hey all, New to the forum here. Just found this thread and it motivated me to join site. 

Anyways, I have been a street bike riders for a number of years, and have always wanted to get into supermoto. I finally took the plunge with my father and we both bought FX's for some racing and track days here in Wisconsin. 

Well obviously we are not gonna just wait for the rims to come in and let the bike sit, so we bought some VP race gas, packed up and went to a WIXC event to see what these Hare Scrambles things are all about. Here is a picture right after I came off a muddy, humid, swampy 2 hour introduction to actually off road riding. Someone I was the embodiment of miserable, but all for 2 weeks I have done nothing but wait for the next one. It was honestly the most fun I've had on two wheels in years.

13768210_136719950096488_1464340618_n.jp

So far I've got Zeta hand guards with the fancy mount on the triple clamps, and some boss DecalWorks number plates. Plenty more to come. 

4 people like this

Hey all, New to the forum here. Just found this thread and it motivated me to join site.

Anyways, I have been a street bike riders for a number of years, and have always wanted to get into supermoto. I finally took the plunge with my father and we both bought FX's for some racing and track days here in Wisconsin.

Well obviously we are not gonna just wait for the rims to come in and let the bike sit, so we bought some VP race gas, packed up and went to a WIXC event to see what these Hare Scrambles things are all about. Here is a picture right after I came off a muddy, humid, swampy 2 hour introduction to actually off road riding. Someone I was the embodiment of miserable, but all for 2 weeks I have done nothing but wait for the next one. It was honestly the most fun I've had on two wheels in years.

13768210_136719950096488_1464340618_n.jp

So far I've got Zeta hand guards with the fancy mount on the triple clamps, and some boss DecalWorks number plates. Plenty more to come.

Just dropped my second pair of Zeta hand guards on tonight on my 250FX ( destroyed my first pair recently in a wreck ). Good brand that I rarely see people running outside of the DRZ world. Congrats on the FX. You're going to love it.

Well what did I do with my 450fx? I found out that if your radiator hose gets speared by a random tree branch you can do a trail fix with the smaller hose that connects to the other clutch side radiator. I was 20mi out on a trail... Could have been real bad as I was solo.

Limped the bike home 20mi. Had to fill the radiator with stream water...

1470341052394.jpg

Edited by XJHammer

Well what did I do with my 450fx? I found out that if your radiator hose gets speared by a random tree branch you can do a trail fix with the smaller hose that connects to the other clutch side radiator. I was 20mi out on a trail... Could have been real bad as I was solo.

Limped the bike home 20mi. Had to fill the radiator with stream water...

Nice work making it back! That could have been far more ugly. And really cool tip to keep in the back of the mind. The rads seem really flimsy and weak.