HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

xkraabel

Yz400 stripped crank

5 posts in this topic

So I &%$#@!ed up, I stripped out the first few threads of my crank on my awesome yz400f while replacing the flywheel nut after installing a lighting stator...

1459230419053.jpg

1459230432954.jpg

Question is, can I clean up the threads, rid of the washer or use a thin washer to get to the good threads new a new nut and red loctite it.

Or do I buy a wr400 crank the looks good (http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=252315936319&alt=web ) and just replace the crank and not even bother with the stripped crank.

As of now this is my only vehicle that runs (ran) and I just got it plated and bought lights and tires last week so I don't want to give up on it. Plus I've scored on it, $1100 total so far.

I love riding this bike but as it's my only running bike (I have a motoped that a tappet bolt broke one and haven't got running yet) should I be able to get away with the loctite till I have a weekend I can rebuild the whole bike. Or should I just rebuild it now.

The new nut has 5 threads on it.

Amount of good thread with washer 2/5

1459230580135.jpg

Amount of good thread without washer 4/5

1459230616773.jpg

That doesn't look too bad, frankly.  Clean up the first couple of threads with a knife or triangle file (thread file if you have one) and run a die down over it.  Should be OK.

Gray always to the rescue. I figured that if I cleaned it up with a thread fixer and slowly and carefully run a tap over just to make sure everything is good, it should be good w/o a washer and red loctite , I wanted a second opinion