Hard to start in gear?

Hi, I have a 2006 yz450f and it won't start in gear very easily, I have to kick it like 5 times. But when I put it in neutral it starts first kick. I am doing a harescramble in May so I would like to be able to start off in gear. Any thoughts on why it doesnt.

Thanks

None of the big thumpers are gonna be easy to start in gear. Watch the pro's, their bikes are tuned to perfection and they can't even start their bikes in gear. 

Your best bet would be to throw a Rekluse in it if you want it to start in gear.

Hi, I have a 2006 yz450f and it won't start in gear very easily, I have to kick it like 5 times. But when I put it in neutral it starts first kick. I am doing a harescramble in May so I would like to be able to start off in gear. Any thoughts on why it doesnt.

Thanks

Hot or Cold? I know you imply hot, but it was never an issue hot for me with any bike. Cold would be a different matter, but I don't know why any one would start a cold bike in gear.

When it's hot.

My 09 is hard to start in gear. My friend has a z start rekluse on his 426 and it is difficult in gear too.

All the big YZF's are.  If you assemble a perfect clutch in them and get it broke in, they'll start fairly well in gear for a while, but generally, there's too much clutch drag to allow it to work very well, Rekluse or not.

I'm probably wrong but I always assumed the neutral switch changed the timing to help starting, my bike starts very hard hot in gear.

The neutral switch on some models does, but I'm not convinced that they all do, or that it works very well.  I rigged a push button up one time so I could ground the light blue lead going to the N switch manually to see if it made it easier to start in gear.  I noticed no improvement when I used it.

The neutral switch does lower the rev limit to 7000, though. 

All the big YZF's are.  If you assemble a perfect clutch in them and get it broke in, they'll start fairly well in gear for a while, but generally, there's too much clutch drag to allow it to work very well, Rekluse or not.

This is my general experience too.  You may be holding in the clutch all the way but there's still some drag between the discs.  Starting my bike cold in gear is simply not possible.  It's not too bad after it's warmed up.