HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Jgsav

07 yz450f clutch issues

7 posts in this topic

Need help figuring out my problem with my clutch. First 30 min to an hour of riding the bike the clutch is perfect but after awhile u cant "slip" the clutch to take off its like it "jumps or jitters" if that makes sense? So say uve come to a stop and go to take off, i ease off the clutch and instead of slippin until fully engaged it just kinda has catches and jumps....theres no "slip" to it? If i let the bike sit for 20 or 30 min it still does it. You have to let it sit for a couple hours before it works properly again.Now let me also point out im no newbie or unfamilier with bikes, motors, or clutches. I have also installed new oem clutch plates and fiber plates but still does the same thing. The fiber pads on the clutch i took out measured in spec, but on the low end of in spec so i replaced them just to see if it would fix the issue and it didnt. I dont think its expantion of the plates bc my clutch handle play isnt changing like it does when they get hot and expand. If anyone can make any sense of what im trying to explain and could help id appreciate it alot. Thanks

Edited by Jgsav

Need help figuring out my problem with my clutch. First 30 min to an hour of riding the bike the clutch is perfect but after awhile u cant "slip" the clutch to take off its like it "jumps or jitters" if that makes sense? So say uve come to a stop and go to take off, i ease off the clutch and instead of slippin until fully engaged it just kinda has catches and jumps....theres no "slip" to it? If i let the bike sit for 20 or 30 min it still does it. You have to let it sit for a couple hours before it works properly again.Now let me also point out im no newbie or unfamilier with bikes, motors, or clutches. I have also installed new oem clutch plates and fiber plates but still does the same thing. The fiber pads on the clutch i took out measured in spec, but on the low end of in spec so i replaced them just to see if it would fix the issue and it didnt. I dont think its expantion of the plates bc my clutch handle play isnt changing like it does when they get hot and expand. If anyone can make any sense of what im trying to explain and could help id appreciate it alot. Thanks

Try a different oil. I had an 06 that had a similar problem. At the time I was running Rotella then switched to Yamalube. It made a big difference.

Was the basket notched at all?

Wouldnt call them notches but yes they had small grooves in them but filed them down.

Try a different oil. I had an 06 that had a similar problem. At the time I was running Rotella then switched to Yamalube. It made a big difference.

Rotella T is what i had been running. Done what you suggested and switched oils, to rotella T6 synthetic oil and went riding over the weekend. It still does it? Its not as bad as before but its still there. Any thing else i need to look at?

One possibility is that the drive cushions in the primary driven gear are shot.  If you can rotate the basket relative to the gear any significant amount, they need to be replaced.