HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

jj86

08 WR450 Rear Tire Size

6 posts in this topic

So I've read a lot of posts on tires here, but not quite found what I'm looking for.  I've decided on s12xc, as I ride in Michigan where the trails are 90% sand.  I already have the s12 on the front and I like it well. I have the old stock Dunlop 110/100 on the rear.  I'm trying to decide between the 140/80 and the 130/90 option on the S12 rear.  Which will be the closest to the stock size?  I'm thinking wider is better for the sand, but would the wider 140 make the bike turn worse than the 130, or would I not even notice the difference between the two? Also concerned if there are any clearance issues.  

Thanks!

jj86

So I've read a lot of posts on tires here, but not quite found what I'm looking for. I've decided on s12xc, as I ride in Michigan where the trails are 90% sand. I already have the s12 on the front and I like it well. I have the old stock Dunlop 110/100 on the rear. I'm trying to decide between the 140/80 and the 130/90 option on the S12 rear. Which will be the closest to the stock size? I'm thinking wider is better for the sand, but would the wider 140 make the bike turn worse than the 130, or would I not even notice the difference between the two? Also concerned if there are any clearance issues.

Thanks!

jj86

irc m5b. 140/80 will out perform the s12 all day long
2 people like this

irc m5b. 140/80 will out perform the s12 all day long

I took your recommendation on the IRC M5B. It works great! Nasty looking knobs on this thing. Works great in the sand. I got the 140 and it just fits, not a whole lot of room but enough to clear the chain and the mud flap fine. Makes climbing sand hills a piece of cake.

I took your recommendation on the IRC M5B. It works great! Nasty looking knobs on this thing. Works great in the sand. I got the 140 and it just fits, not a whole lot of room but enough to clear the chain and the mud flap fine. Makes climbing sand hills a piece of cake.

im glad you like it you won't regret it! I just got a 130/80 and really like it. If you have a knobby knife that tire will last you a long time

im glad you like it you won't regret it! I just got a 130/80 and really like it. If you have a knobby knife that tire will last you a long time

Yep, I'm going to get a knife.  I noticed that the tire is directional, so no flipping it around backwards. The tire really helps to slow the big beast down as well, which was benefit I was not really thinking about until i got on the brake heavy.