HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

brandonlocko

WR450 Electrical Issues After Baja Designs Enduro and Dead Battery

4 posts in this topic

New User but I have been reading anything I can find on TT and other forums.

2004 Yamaha WR450. Ran great without a single issue, wanted to drive it on the street so bought the Baja Designs Enduro kit (which side note, might have been a mistake).

Installed the Enduro kit with new Baja Designs Regulator/Rectifier - I modified the stator myself but tested the resistance and it is good at just about .5 ohms.

Post install, hopped on the bike and went on 5 or so rides (3-4 hours each) - Bike would start right up with the e-start during any part of the ride and after I got home. (I should have checked the charging voltage after the install but didn't)

Bike was then in the garage for only 2 weeks while I put new chain and sprockets on. I forgot to keep my battery tender connected while I was working on it. Tried to charge battery and it was toast. So buy a new battery.

I then went for a short ride about an hour and the bike dies. but dead dead dead. Get home after a good Samaritan gave me a ride and new battery is toast. So buy another new battery and start diagnosing. Bike starts and runs fine with my jump box or fully charged battery

the charging voltage at the battery posts jumps around between .9-5.5 but definitely not enough to charge.

Checked my work on the stator, workmanship still looks good and still .5 ohms resistance

Checked the charging voltage out of the regulator/rectifier and it is 13.8-14.2 - so good right.

Tried to check the resistance on the charging coil connection but could not get a reading

Checked the resistance on the AC Magneto and it was good.

What Am I Missing?

Let me know what you all think.....

Edited by brandonlocko

You somehow messed up the stator when you tried to Float the Ground to convert it to a straight DC system.  I am guessing you are running straight AC into your battery.  You have three choices.  A. Purchase a Ricky Stator. B Try to fix what you have or C. Get another WR stator and start over.  BTW, I went with Choice A.  If you decide Choice C, I have a non-coverted WR stator available for a good price.  PM me if you are interested.

WR Stator.JPG

1 person likes this

You somehow messed up the stator when you tried to Float the Ground to convert it to a straight DC system.  I am guessing you are running straight AC into your battery.  You have three choices.  A. Purchase a Ricky Stator. B Try to fix what you have or C. Get another WR stator and start over.  BTW, I went with Choice A.  If you decide Choice C, I have a non-coverted WR stator available for a good price.  PM me if you are interested.

Thank you for the response and help...

Fact Check me on these statements then if you will please.

So even though the Ohms tested correctly from what Baja Designs said after the modification I am just testing the AC coil, and not the AC and DC Coil Resistance?

And although charging voltage out of the regulator rectifier showed correct I am only reading AC which will not charge the battery?

I think you are right. Do you recommend the Ricky Stator over the Trail Tech?