Aftermarket Speedo on 2012+ Install?

Hello, 

I purchased a set of 17's that do not allow the use of the stock speedo setup. I was going to go with a trailtech speedo for temp and rpm, as well as ODO anyway.

Does anyone have experience with installing a trailtech on a 2012+? I've heard of trouble with the CEL and fuel light when removing the stock speedo? Just looking for some insight. 

Thanks!

I put a vapor on my '12 and removed the stock speedo assembly,   I do still have the stock on/off switch and haven't bothered to wire in a key switch.

Fuel Light and CE seem to work just fine.   

Makes a fantastic supermoto,   have fun.

IMG_20160308_120729_zpsaxs4uru4.jpg

The stock speedo can be calibrated to work with different wheel sizes. The measurement is based on a percentage from the stock wheel size, so you'll need to calculate the size difference (by percentage) from stock. Here are the instructions I found a couple years back, and worked for me when I grabbed a speedo from Ebay that I needed to calibrate for my stock wheel size.

- Press SLCT1 and RST buttons for 2 seconds. You should see 100:0C, which states it's calibrated at 100% (stock wheel size).

- The SLCT2 button will reduce the percentage. Press until the desired percentage is reached (79:0C, for example).

- Press SLCT1 and RST buttons for 2 seconds to exit calibration mode.  

- Check with GPS. Readjust as necessary.

The stock speedo can be calibrated to work with different wheel sizes. The measurement is based on a percentage from the stock wheel size, so you'll need to calculate the size difference (by percentage) from stock. Here are the instructions I found a couple years back, and worked for me when I grabbed a speedo from Ebay that I needed to calibrate for my stock wheel size.

- Press SLCT1 and RST buttons for 2 seconds. You should see 100:0C, which states it's calibrated at 100% (stock wheel size).

- The SLCT2 button will reduce the percentage. Press until the desired percentage is reached (79:0C, for example).

- Press SLCT1 and RST buttons for 2 seconds to exit calibration mode.  

- Check with GPS. Readjust as necessary.

If he bought Warp9 wheels there is no provision for the speedo drive.

Right. Unfortunately the Warp 9 Excel Pro hubs do not work with the speedo drive so I'm limited to the magnet pickup or GPS pickup method. 

I put a vapor on my '12 and removed the stock speedo assembly,   I do still have the stock on/off switch and haven't bothered to wire in a key switch.

Fuel Light and CE seem to work just fine.   

Makes a fantastic supermoto,   have fun.

IMG_20160308_120729_zpsaxs4uru4.jpg

Sweet bike! Which trailtech kit did you use? Was it p/n 75-303? Did you have to cut the OEM harness?

Thanks guys!

I picked up a 752-300 off amazon and it was NOT the right one,  the temp sensor fitting had to large of a diameter so it didn't fit in the hose properly.   Thanks for reminding me to contact TrailTech and get the right one as I wedged it in there anyway but it's not right.

There is no cutting of the OEM harness necessary,   I just unplugged the OE speedo,  put some dielectric grease in the pin holes of the connector, sealed it up with electrical tape and tucked it out of the way.

Thanks for all the help, guys. The speedo will be one of the finishing touches to my bike. I bought the 75-303 vapor straight from Trail Tech with free 2 day shipping. I'll keep ya'll updated, seems straight forward. This will be my third vapor, no complaints from the last two installs. 

Here's a sneak peek:

3nk3H3H.jpg

• Like 1

I am putting a Vapor on my 2013 WR and I did not want to cut the stock speedo cable so I could use it if I ever wanted to put it back on. I found an odometer spacer for the right side that allows you to pull the old adapter seal & install it in the new spacer. It is from Flatland Racing, 877-375-5527, www.flatlandracing.com . Part # 21-08 = 02 - 13 WR 250F & 03-12 WR 450F. It fit on my 2013. Nice looking brushed aluminum. I think it was $29.

Edited by DRZ04
  • Like 1

I am putting a Vapor on my 2013 WR and I did not want to cut the stock speedo cable so I could use it if I ever wanted to put it back on. I found an odometer spacer for the right side that allows you to pull the old adapter seal & install it in the new spacer. It is from Flatland Racing, 877-375-5527, www.flatlandracing.com . Part # 21-08 = 02 - 13 WR 250F & 03-12 WR 450F. It fit on my 2013. Nice looking brushed aluminum. I think it was $29.

Good find,  I was wondering how I was going to around that when I want to put the dirt wheels back on and still use the Vapor.

I picked up an ACEWELL 3700 ($70 on ebay) for my 03 450, but I haven't installed it yet. I have to straighten out the wiring from the previous owner, with the OEM power switch and the BD power switch on the bar, and the keyed switch that has been added too.

The Acewell has options for mechanical speedo or not, so I actually got an adapter with it that plugs right into the speedo drive unit- no magnets or speedo drive spacer required. 

acewell-speedometer-series-3700-220.jpg

Edited by ftl900

I picked up a 752-300 off amazon and it was NOT the right one,  the temp sensor fitting had to large of a diameter so it didn't fit in the hose properly.   Thanks for reminding me to contact TrailTech and get the right one as I wedged it in there anyway but it's not right.

There is no cutting of the OEM harness necessary,   I just unplugged the OE speedo,  put some dielectric grease in the pin holes of the connector, sealed it up with electrical tape and tucked it out of the way.

I also ordered a 752-300 off of amazon for my 13 as well.  It was a pita to get the temp sensor on...OD definitely too big for the hose.  Did you contact Trail Tech and they send you something else?  I will have to keep an eye on it.  

I also ordered a 752-300 off of amazon for my 13 as well.  It was a pita to get the temp sensor on...OD definitely too big for the hose.  Did you contact Trail Tech and they send you something else?  I will have to keep an eye on it.  

If you check the Trail Tech site, they have a new kit for our gen WR's that use a fin temp sensor. I couldn't find it anywhere on Amazon and had to buy it direct from their site.

Are you guys having trouble with the rpm jumping to double and showing incorrectly under acceleration? It's very erratic and I've been trying many different methods of picking the rpms.. seems like there's interference. How do you guys have it installed?

Any issues with speed reading too? My speedo shows odd speeds that are definitely not accurate. It'll show 8 mph when I'm doing around 20 mph and somewhat accurate speeds when I'm doing 50 mph, but overall it is always "off". I have the wheel size set correctly as well.

This kit has usually been good to me on previous bikes.. not sure what's going on here..

If you check the Trail Tech site, they have a new kit for our gen WR's that use a fin temp sensor. I couldn't find it anywhere on Amazon and had to buy it direct from their site.

Are you guys having trouble with the rpm jumping to double and showing incorrectly under acceleration? It's very erratic and I've been trying many different methods of picking the rpms.. seems like there's interference. How do you guys have it installed?

Any issues with speed reading too? My speedo shows odd speeds that are definitely not accurate. It'll show 8 mph when I'm doing around 20 mph and somewhat accurate speeds when I'm doing 50 mph, but overall it is always "off". I have the wheel size set correctly as well.

This kit has usually been good to me on previous bikes.. not sure what's going on here..

I have not contacted TT yet as I'm a lazy F**K at times.    My speedo works perfect,  make sure you don't have the sensor centered perfectly over the magnet,  the hall sensors that TT uses don't work very well like that.  

My RPM doesn't work very well with the red lead wrapped around the spark plug lead,   I don't really care that much but next time I pull the tank off I'll tap it into the coil + wire instead,  I've always had good luck using that method. 

I have not contacted TT yet as I'm a lazy F**K at times.    My speedo works perfect,  make sure you don't have the sensor centered perfectly over the magnet,  the hall sensors that TT uses don't work very well like that.  

My RPM doesn't work very well with the red lead wrapped around the spark plug lead,   I don't really care that much but next time I pull the tank off I'll tap it into the coil + wire instead,  I've always had good luck using that method. 

The end of my sensor lines up with the center of the magnet on the rotor.  Seems to work just fine.  My RPM doesn't work too well.  I have it wrapped around the spark plug lead 5x and zip tied.  Jumps from 1050 to 2000 on idle.  Not sure why the 752-300 doesn't fit well with the 12-15s...it says on the website it works through a 15

Thanks for all the help, guys. The speedo will be one of the finishing touches to my bike. I bought the 75-303 vapor straight from Trail Tech with free 2 day shipping. I'll keep ya'll updated, seems straight forward. This will be my third vapor, no complaints from the last two installs.

Here's a sneak peek:

3nk3H3H.jpg

Nice looking bike. Just curious what gearing you're running there and if it's enough top end for a comfortable 60-ish mph in 5th with the 17. Really thinking of doing a supermoto set up on my '11 WR.

Nice looking bike. Just curious what gearing you're running there and if it's enough top end for a comfortable 60-ish mph in 5th with the 17. Really thinking of doing a supermoto set up on my '11 WR.

I was running 13/50 and then 15/50 but I've changed to 14/44 to keep the rpms down a bit. 15/50 was shorter gearing but the bike appreciates 14/44 much better imo. Too short and the bike feels like it revs out too quick and you don't get to use all the power effectively. 

Edited by dirznut

I was running 13/50 and then 15/50 but I've changed to 14/44 to keep the rpms down a bit. 15/50 was shorter gearing but the bike appreciates 14/44 much better imo. Too short and the bike feels like it revs out too quick and you don't get to use all the power effectively.

Thanks for the reply - I may give 14-47 a try first and see how it does. Doing some tire circumference and gear ratio math tells me it should be comfortable enough at the highest speed I might need for short-range cruising (approximately 60 mph). Getting all the parts in now.

Thanks for the reply - I may give 14-47 a try first and see how it does. Doing some tire circumference and gear ratio math tells me it should be comfortable enough at the highest speed I might need for short-range cruising (approximately 60 mph). Getting all the parts in now.

There is a website for that,

http://www.gearingcommander.com/