hole in swingarm....

It's actually quite common, and there was another thread concerning that awhile ago on here. It started happening to my '11 but I caught it and cut a piece of galvanized sheet metal and applied it in underneath the chain slider. Yours looks pretty worn, but a competent welder may still be able to build enough off of that to fix it.

but it's scrap metal now.

Noooooooo.......swingarm can be welded, as per my thread which is linked to in post #5

to the OP - make yourself a guard to fit between the slider and swing arm, as shown on page two of my thread, to save this happening to you again

• Like 1

Nope, not if everything was "good" as you said it was. Looks like odd scuffing on the side of the swingarm too below that worn area.

Thats from a piece of rubber I zip tied to the subframe to keep the chain from eating it. I heard that people have had problems with the wr450f chains hitting the subframe ( like mine) Thats why im super observant of the chain tension but never seen/heard of a hole under the chain slider like this. 

Thats from a piece of rubber I zip tied to the subframe to keep the chain from eating it. I heard that people have had problems with the wr450f chains hitting the subframe ( like mine) Thats why im super observant of the chain tension but never seen/heard of a hole under the chain slider like this. 

Very common

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/946340-picture-of-chain-slider-wear-to-swing-arm/

Edited by GuyGraham

I have a 2012 wr450f. The bike has had a chain slider on it from day one and had the chain the correct tension (right around 2"). went to replace the chain slider and found a hole. anyone ever see anything like this?

Yes, this is quite common, I have a 14 that started making shiny spots from day one. I took the slider off, cleaned the area all up and put some red "rvt" silicon under and all the way around my slider, ran a nice bead around both sides. Now no dirt can get under it and wear on the swing arm.

A good friend has a 13 that he purchased after I got mine, laughed at what I did, then 6 mos later was calling me bitching about how his is starting to wear. He has now since done the same thing.

A sharp razor blade will take off the silicone easy enough once I need to replace the slider.