HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

supermo26

Sprocket change. 14 & 51 to a 13 & 49

6 posts in this topic

Looking to make bike a little less torque and a little faster on the top end.

What would going from a 14 tooth front 51 tooth rear to a 13 tooth front to a 49 tooth rear do?

2005 yz450f with a 4 gear transmission.

www.gearing commander.com 

14/51 is (not) LOWER gearing than 13/49

:facepalm:

Edited by KRANNIE

Actually 13/49 (3.77) is shorter/lower than 14/51 (3.64) and will do the opposite of what you're after. Sounds like you're looking for less snap and a little more top speed. Dropping a tooth or two from the rear and maintaining the 14 front will get you there.

When I desert raced my 03 450 (4 speed) I was running 15/42 (2.80) which would still loft the front in 4th with ease and top out at 175kph (110mph).

The guy I bought from gave me a box of old stuff. Theres a 15 and 44 in the box, used but will work for testing. What he put on it is 14/50. I'm getting 35 mpg now. I like the way it handles, it will do 75 on the hwy but still handle the slow technical stuff. I'd like to get a bit better gas mileage without losing the technical. Any suggestions?

Edited by DESERTJUL