06 wr450f, first dual sport. Should I buy it?

How do you know it only has 3k on it... There is no fixed speedo on that bike unless it's aftermarket but it would be resettable

There is always a risk the the mileage stated is not accurate.  However, he did say that the bike was pretty clean, which means its more than likely been either well maintained, or not ridden hard.

That motor is so damn reliable that even with double the miles, its a low risk.    

How do you know it only has 3k on it... There is no fixed speedo on that bike unless it's aftermarket but it would be resettable

My 05 has 3200 miles. Ive kept track since new mainly for oil changes, never turned back or touched the odometer. By writing down the oil change mileage I know what the mileage is so when the odom. says 223 miles I know it actually 3223 miles.

Good choice

The other choice is a Honda CRF 250 or 450 X, but you have to do a dual sport conversion in most states though

The Hondas have valves that need to be adjusted and redone WAY more often though

Another choice is a KTM, but good luck on chasing parts (dirtbikes break a lot when you ride them as intended)

Late 2014 I bought an 06 that was street legal for $3100. Test ride was okay, loaded her up. Once home found a mess of everything except the motor. $3700 in parts later (I didn't keep track of hours working on her) she is one hell of a good bike! Fully re-wired, suspension professionally rebuilt and lowered and almost everything you can do besides engine work done. $700 of that was a steering stabilizer and bars and mounts, etc which made a huge difference above 55'ish on the road.