Dual 8 inch racing lights

Okay, I am lookin into installing the huge dual 8 inch lights on my BRP. Has anyone in this forum actually done this? What is involved? What other things need to be changed/upgraded? Whats the actual cost, when its all done?

Hi ridesred,

I have all the answers for you on this subject. as well as helping you with the purchase of these components. First of all the 8" light is not a cheap unit buy any means by its self. But if this is too much for your check book there are other lights that can work well with some of the cost taken out. fell free to email me or call.

Rob Barnum 760-868-8097

email rob@barnumspro.com

Oh yes, no doubt they are pricey. I have seen what baja designs wants for thier twin 8 inch halogens. But I know the expense doesnt stop at the mere 800 clams they want for two lamps and a rack. I was wondering what else is required..lighting coil? switches? wiring harness? Is there a kit? And what about the lamps themselves? Are there DOT versions available? I am jonesin for that baja racer-look for my xr650r adventure-tourer. Plus Im thinkin the two big lights would actually make my 6 gallon acerbis tank look a bit more in proportion with the bike. I am considering fabricating my own rack, wiring harness, etc. Or is thier a more reasonably priced alternative?

Kritter, Wasn't the pics you posted your own design? I remember when they were orginaly displayed here on TT.com and thought of it when I first read this post and searched for them to show Ridesred but I couldn't find them in a search or remember who built this setup?

It'd seem like they could work better than dual b/c they can be aimed at different directions along with setting up different beam patterns and probably cost is probably better with only buying one HID instead of two? Just thinking out loud.

JT

Some thoughts on BIG lights from my little world...

No offense to you HIDers, but i have yet to see a set of HID lights survive the Baja 1000 without a major 'issue'. That includes Team Honda B team-who lost there BajaDesigns HID's while leading Johnny Cambell on the way in to the finish line!!

Why dont $26,000 Dakar KTM bikes use HID? Why doesnt Johnny Cambell? Jim ONeil? Sergio Vegas? Halogen lights took the top 5 spots at last fall's 1000!

The HID bulbs are tuff: but the ballasts, battery, and assorted wiring is still being worked out for bikes--rally cars do well with them, but the bikes are still working out the bugs.... Yeah guys use them with some success, but overall the most reliable is still the halogen. Plus there are MANY drawbacks to HID- the type of light is bad, they are prone to delayed shut off when you stall the bike, they are expensive, they are blinding/disorienting to pit crews, spectators, range animals, on coming traffic, etc. They are hard to fix in the middle of the desert at night, etc., etc. They are not street legal. But most of all the technology for bikes is still being worked out.

If you absolutely have to go HID then take a look at the Hela Safari units...or the BD hybrid systems, but not your local elevator repair man - he tried to make us a pair for the last 1000--and failed miserably!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niteryder makes a great helmet mounted HID light that works well. For me-- halogens and a backup HID helmet light is the best way to go.

I've used Rob Barnums halogen light system in the last 2 Baja 1000's -- its bullet proof! Half the price of Baja Designs-much lighter and much more adjustable than Ricky Stator-for about the same price. And yes you can put in a H4 bulb to make it street legal!

Our team wanted a Baja 1000 XR650 race bike in the summer of '01. We went with Rob- and have gone to him ever since.

Mike Kay SCORE #404X ! ?

Yep, gotta agree with Iron on most of this.

Personally, the color of the light thrown by an HID isn't comfortable for me. I prefer Halogen.

It's true that HID is very trick and expensive and a lot of guys want to go HID just for the "cool" factor.

I for one would rather be using halo. when the thing has a problem in the middle of the night and it's pitch black out.

Another thing is light placement. Some guys think that only frame mounted is the best, others like units attached to the forks.

It really depends on the course. Frame mounted work better on faster courses with more sweeping fire roads and fork mounted works better on courses with more tight turns and dropaways.

Also, if you're dropping coin anyway be sure you get a system that has no backs on the lights (no stock bucket, just the bezel, or ring). Also be sure the lights each have 3 mount points as ones that incorporate the bucket and use a single mount point will eventually fall apart.

Tim

Also, if you're dropping coin anyway be sure you get a system that has no backs on the lights (no stock bucket, just the bezel, or ring). Also be sure the lights each have 3 mount points as ones that incorporate the bucket and use a single mount point will eventually fall apart.

Tim

GOOD to know! I dont care for the added cost and comlexty of HID myself. The auxillary driving lights on my truck are Hella rallye 3000 FF (modified pencil beam)halogens. They light up the road for MILES. Halogen is plenty fine. I have been to the BARNUMSPRO website to learn more about his product, but the site seems to be under construction. I am still researching this project. Thanks for all the input. It is very helpful. Please keep it coming.

Thats the ticket! But i'll use two 8 inch infra-red illuminators

And let's not forget the multi-color thermal imaging :D

Oh, and what about mounting some type of equalizer (i.e. heat seeker) to take out any competition in front ?

If anyone happens to pass a badass looking XR650R painted in desert camo at the next Baja...watch out :D