2016 YZ450FX questions

Hey everyone.

Well I am in the process of selling my street bike in order to buy the YZ450FX. Now my situation in maybe unique, maybe not. I love motorcycles, dirt-bikes, etc. Right now have a 2014 Honda CRF250L it is a great little dual sport bike. It is lacking though in power, is heavy etc. but it does what it is suppose to and does it well. I really enjoy the bike. I have it modded, FMF exhaust, Mega bomb header, fuel controller, sprockets, new clutch etc. So it is a pumped up little bike.

Anyway, I live in Maine. we have four very different seasons. I do not have a truck, no trailer (can access one if I want) so that is why I like Dual sport. I want a bike like the YZ but street legal, I don't want a KTM in order to get what I want.

Also another reason I want this bike is it has a kick stand, electric start, and I can mount it to a Timbersled kit for the winter.

So I am have having the dealership put a baja kit on it, DOT tires, trail tech 2 endurance cluster on it etc. everything to make the bike street legal here in Maine. So this will allow me to get to the trails to ride. It is only going to be on pavement to get me to the nearby trails. But in the winter it would be setup with a Timbersled.

So my questions.

1. Has anyone used the Tusk dual sport kit on a off road bike?

Dual Sport Armory sells a kit for this bike. for $170.00 It is everything but a head light. Signal lights are LED.

Baja designs sells a kit for this bike, has everything except for a mirror, and headlight. Signal lights ARE NOT LED. The kit is $375.00 and $100.00 for the headlight. Mirror another $10.00

So that is Baja Designs total $485.00

Dual sport Armory Tusk setup is $270.00 (with $100.00 headlight from Baja Designs)

That's a big difference.

Is the quality that different? What would you all buy? Anyone have experience with Dual Sport Armory?

2. Should a person add the radiator fan from the start?

3. Anyone have experience with the YZ450 model as a timbersled? If so, any must have fore the winter months.

Thank you all for your help.

George

Edited by gagallagher04401

I believe there is a thread by Baja Designs in the WR450 forum.  I believe it is managed by Baja Designs.   Also regarding Timbersled.     You would want to go to http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3920136. Snowest is the place for serious snowmobiling and also snow bikes.   There has been forum talk regarding the FX as a snow bike.  You will get your answers there.

If you want roadability, why would you not buy a new WR instead?  Essentially the same bike as the FX with lights on board already.

This is the same dilemma I've having now.  I've been out of the dirt bike world for the last few years as we bought RZRs and have thoroughly enjoyed the family outings.  However, my 16 yo daughter wanted a dirt bike so I picked up a really clean '15 CRF230 for her.  Now I want to have my own to chase her around the trails.  Looking at the WR, it would need the throttle stop removed, different exhaust, airbox opened up, competition ECU and GYTR programmer.  The FX would need a light kit....after all that, we'd have basically the same machines, minus the suspension differences and computer on the WR.  Which would be the better way to go?

I'd love to see the FX with the timber sled kit. That sounds awesome. The only answer I have for you is about Dual Sport Armory. Call Allen there and he'll answer all of your questions regarding his kit. He's a great guy to deal with and has a lot of dual sport/off road knowledge. I've not used his kit, but I've used him for suspension work and friends have bought parts from him and we couldn't be happier with the experience. 

I heard the FX is awesome as a snowbike but people have heard people complain about one thing. Starting it in gear. Sometimes when snow biking you can stall it or whatever being in weird off camber hills or difficult terrain or deep snow where the shifter is maybe piled up with snow. I have heard that the bike likes to only start in neutral despite revving it a little while in gear.I have also heard you can fix the issue with starting the bike in gear.

Exactly. That's why I am going with the YZ version.

Don't have to fool around with "uncorking" anything.

Limited stator capabilities, stiffer suspension, no e-start, close-ratio trans etc etc are all factors that need to be considered when buying a YZF over a FX. If you need none of that then a YZF is a excellent choice...

• Like 1

I'd love to see the FX with the timber sled kit. That sounds awesome. The only answer I have for you is about Dual Sport Armory. Call Allen there and he'll answer all of your questions regarding his kit. He's a great guy to deal with and has a lot of dual sport/off road knowledge. I've not used his kit, but I've used him for suspension work and friends have bought parts from him and we couldn't be happier with the experience.

An advantage using the Yamaha as a snow bike is that the snow won't clog the air filter like other bikes since the air Intake is upfront.

Thay make great snow bikes!!!!

I'd love to see the FX with the timber sled kit. That sounds awesome. The only answer I have for you is about Dual Sport Armory. Call Allen there and he'll answer all of your questions regarding his kit. He's a great guy to deal with and has a lot of dual sport/off road knowledge. I've not used his kit, but I've used him for suspension work and friends have bought parts from him and we couldn't be happier with the experience

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Tillbuilt

I heard the FX is awesome as a snowbike but people have heard people complain about one thing. Starting it in gear. Sometimes when snow biking you can stall it or whatever being in weird off camber hills or difficult terrain or deep snow where the shifter is maybe piled up with snow. I have heard that the bike likes to only start in neutral despite revving it a little while in gear.I have also heard you can fix the issue with starting the bike in gear.

My FX starts in 1st or 2nd gear no problem do it all the time and comes in handy when your in situations like this

Yamaha fx.jpg

Yamaha Fx Valemount.jpg