HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

franklinmanklin

1999 WR400 Bog n Rev Limiter

11 posts in this topic

I just bought this bike. It appears to be in great shape. I had the same bike about 13 years ago. I was bikeless for a while. Then I had an ultra slow, heavily modded '09 KLR. It never made me smile so I launched it.

I have done nothing to this bike yet. It needs the air filter cleaned, maybe a new spark plug and some tune ups including the bog sticky among other things such as a clutch cable. Granted it warmed up to 31 degrees so maybe everything was tight. Oh, the gas isn't fresh smelling either.

I don't know the rpms but it wasn't ripping like it should. I'm far from a technical motor guy but have friends that are. Any suggestions besides what I've mentioned here?

Drain the gas, pull the tank and flush it, and inspect the filter, pull the carb, service it per the link, dismantle the steer head and linkgage and service per manual, clean all electrical junctions, and upgrade the carb internals with new ones (needle jet, apump diaphram, slide plate seal, R&D fuel screw) put in a new plug, and change all the fluids.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/protips/141_0707_keihin_fcr_carb_rebuild/

Carb cleaning seems straightforward. Time allowing, I'll post results. Thank you!

Best place for replacement parts?

What about throttle stop? ...or one thing at a time?

Edited by franklinmanklin

Carb cleaning seems straightforward. Time allowing, I'll post results. Thank you!

Best place for replacement parts?

What about throttle stop? ...or one thing at a time?

You don't have a throttle stop.

Remember, you have a 16 year old carb. Every moving part and every seal will be worn to worn out to some degree.

Until you deal with that, it  will never run well.

Read the link I posted.

I have been searching online for a good place to buy parts.  I don't have a manual yet.  Do the parts explosions come from online or in a book?  FrankMXParts seems different but they are in Europe I think.  Is there a local company like them where I can buy individual parts?  Rocky Mountain isn't very easy to navigate.  Getting frustrated.  If I know the OEM part number I can search for it but I don't know where to find that information to begin with. 

I have been searching online for a good place to buy parts. I don't have a manual yet. Do the parts explosions come from online or in a book? FrankMXParts seems different but they are in Europe I think. Is there a local company like them where I can buy individual parts? Rocky Mountain isn't very easy to navigate. Getting frustrated. If I know the OEM part number I can search for it but I don't know where to find that information to begin with.

look it up on www.babbittsonline.com . great place to look for part numbers Edited by BarterFreak- 116