HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jetski_to_Dbike

YZ426 - Price and info

5 posts in this topic

Newbie question: please help. I am converting from Stand-up jet ski's to a real sport (Dirt Bikes). I *think* I want the YZ426, but would really appreciate any suggestions on best bike to purchase, and how much I should pay (for a new YZ426F - out the door). Thanks for any opinions. Rob in Arizona

Seeing as that you have not mention the going prices in and around your area, I assume you have not done the basic thing and see what they are going for in you local dealer. Her In Northern CA it is about a 4 - 6 week wait on a new 2002. Price is what they ask and nothing less, no deals no dickering, no bartering. The 250f is going for 5299.00 and the 426 is 5999.00 add 8.25% and ya got your price. Now if you want to argue price go buy a Cannondale they will pretty much pay you to buy one......

Tell us more, what kind of riding do you expect to do? The prices vary more than you would think depending on where you are. The CA boys seem to pay way more, here in the midwest we pay less. Probably has something to do with the cost of living or something, I don't know. You can buy one from a distance but sometimes it's better to pay more just to have the backing of a local dealer (note I said sometimes). The YZ426F is a great bike for racing or really hammering, but not so good as a play bike. There are much better play bikes. There are even much better trail bikes.

More info: I would like a bike I will grow into, not one I will grow out of. I have no plans to race, and will primarily be riding on trails. So the bike will be a play/trail bike. I am also considering the Honda XR400, but am afraid I may get bored with the bike and want more power and a better suspension.

Originally posted by Jetski_to_Dbike:

More info: I would like a bike I will grow into, not one I will grow out of. I have no plans to race, and will primarily be riding on trails. So the bike will be a play/trail bike. I am also considering the Honda XR400, but am afraid I may get bored with the bike and want more power and a better suspension.

If you are going to ride only trails, no MX, then there are better bikes than the YZ426. If you want to ride on offroad trails, you are probably going to *need* to spend some money on suspension revalving and a flywheel weight, not to mention a lighting kit if you are going to do any night riding! The WR426 has better gearing and is castrated a bit on the power department (easily fixed), and has lights!

But in all honesty, there are better "trails bikes" that you won't outgrow soon, especially considering your skill level. KTM comes to mind, as does Suzuki 's (gasp!) DR400.

Basically, the YZ426 is all motocrosser, and has suspension and motor to match that philosophy.