HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

cobra0702

426 case won't fully separate

6 posts in this topic

I have the case fully separated in the front but the rear is only apart about 3/8 of an inch. I can still see that the guides are in both sides of the case on the rear. I'll post some pictures later on today, I could be forgetting to remove something but I'm just not 100% sure and don't want to force or pry on anything.

The crank will sometimes need to be pushed out of the main bearings using a puller.  See the manual.

The crank will sometimes need to be pushed out of the main bearings using a puller. See the manual.

What is the best way to remove the primary drive gear nut, I have tried putting a penny in the gears with the clutch basket on but it only crushes the penny and I get no movement on the nut

An air impact will take the nut off, and it's your best option now that you have it that far apart.  

You should have removed the shift shaft prior to disassembly.  Also, the snap ring and idler gear should be removed from the output shaft right end.  Otherwise, it looks like you have the rear of the cases in a bind.  Run a pry bar between the two lugs in the red circle following the dotted line and pry there (prudently).  It's what they are there for. 

cases.jpg

What is the best way to remove the primary drive gear nut, I have tried putting a penny in the gears with the clutch basket on but it only crushes the penny and I get no movement on the nut

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455161221.650834.jpg

Next time this works a little better than a Penny but will cost you 1100% more. Lol.

Or try putting penny in a vise and bending it at a 90 angle.