EMERGENCY TOOL KIT FOR BAJA RIDE

WHAT TOOLS WOULD YOU TAKE ON A 200 MILE BAJA RIDE. WE ARE ALREADY BRINGING SOCKETS, ALLEN KEYS, TUBES, SPARK PLUGS PUMP, TIRE LEVERS WHAT ELSE SHOULD I TAKE AND WHAT SHOULD I LEAVE AT HOME ? ALL REPLIES/SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED

You probably thought of this already, but make sure you have some co2 canisters to fill the tubes if you need them. also make sure to have a little cash on you. never hurts in mexico. ? also a gps is nice , and if you cant get cell phone coverage there are places that will rent you a satellite phone for a weekend.

This should be an interesting post...can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

Here are some other things that I might also consider carrying, depending on speed or time of day:

Lighter, flashlight, hand air pump, a couple granola bars, plenty of water, duct tape, zip ties, a couple feet of wire, patch kit, irondude would also suggest a cigar, ubaldi bands, money is a must as was already mentioned, a cell phone if you think you will be in coverage area, a map if you can get one, stickers(for the kids)...what else...i will hand off to the next suggester...

Have a good ride.

please don't take any paint. Baja will start looking like a graffity dump. some places are like that already. please don't make it worse. the trails to Mikes are well marked already (by everyone and then some). take whet whips to clean your behing out on the trail...put them in a zip lock bag. ?

Here is a list that was published in the Nov/Dec '01 issue of Red Rider that lists the contents on Johnny Campbell's tool pack. If anyone knows what to carry and what not to it is probably Mr Baja 1000.

1) Paper & Pencil

2) Motion-Pro heavy duty chain breaker w/spare pin

3) Moose off road T-Handle with 8,10,12mm sockets, 5,6mm hex key sockets, and an 8mm hex key

4) 8/10mm & 12/14mm box wrenches & 6mm combo wrench

5) Ti Tire Irons with 17 & 27 box wrenches welded to the ends for the axles.

6) Safety wire & Zip Ties

7) Front inner tube w/ 6 CO2 cartriges & adapter (Front tube will fit in the back but not vise versa)

8) Buddy Tow towing strap.

9) Money

10) Lighter

11) Energy bar or other snack

12) Rear Axle nut and spacer block (because you will not find them back)

13) Countershaft Seal

14) Hose Clamps

15) Spark Plug & Wrench

16) Flashlight

17) Diagonal Cutters

18) Kinpex Cobra pliers (thin cool chanel locks)

19) Snap ring pliers (for counter shaft seal)

20) Paper Towel or rag

21) Quick Dry 5min Epoxy (for patching holes in the case)

I used this list as a guide for putting my tool pack together which fits in a Moose Ralley fanny pack. Some things that I did was I bought a FLY brand T handle which is about $15 instead of the $30 Moose. I have a double ended wrench that is 17/27 for the XR650Rs axle nuts (also can be third tire iron) and two Motion pro trail tire irons. I also cary a clip style master link for my chain which will get me back to the truck with out having to figure out how to peen a link on the trail. Instead of buying a buddy tow strap I went down to the local camping store and bought 15' of 1" tubular nylon webbing that I tied a tape knot in each end to make loops for a $2 tow strap with a 2000lb test strength. I also added a mylar space blanket and a tiny first aid kit to my pack.

In the last two years I have replaced a blown tube in the rear 8 miles from the truck, helped save a little kid (from hypothermia with the space blanket) who's dad took him out on an ATV without proper clothes after they got caught in a cold hail storm (and were lost), and fixed a bunch of other people's bikes. Most of the time it is just a heavy pack but when you need it it is priceless.

Big_D has a good list. Here are a couple of problems I've seen so I pack extra parts.

I would say the counter shaft seal is a must with snap ring tool. I also carry epoxy putty and JB weld not 5 min epoxy. ? One time I picked up a rock off the front wheel and damaged the lower radiator hose so I carry a spare with hose clamps. I used tire patches and a hose clamp that got me to a part store for heater hose.

hoserepair.gif

• 3 years later...
WHAT TOOLS WOULD YOU TAKE ON A 200 MILE BAJA RIDE. WE ARE ALREADY BRINGING SOCKETS, ALLEN KEYS, TUBES, SPARK PLUGS PUMP, TIRE LEVERS WHAT ELSE SHOULD I TAKE AND WHAT SHOULD I LEAVE AT HOME :worthy: ALL REPLIES/SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED

carry rope & first aid