HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

dirtpaw12

YZ426f vs YZ250 race

46 posts in this topic

My buddy thinks his 97 yz 250 2 stroke would beat the 01 yz426f I am getting. As far as I know the 426 is stock with just an aftermarket exhaust. The 250 has v force 3, I think 51 rear sprocket not sure of front, has pro circuit exhaust to. I weigh around 180 and he weighs around 150. Who would win on takeoff and top end???

Edited by dirtpaw12

What kind of race? MX, hare scramble, enduro, flat track, slow race, hill climb, ice race? Either way, I'll put money on the better rider.

1 person likes this

I'm not sure.  The torque of the 426 covers a lot of things.  The light 2 stroke may get off the line first if he hooks it up, but I imagine the 426 will run past it - wider power band.  On the other hand, I have a 426 and can't help but wonder if a well tuned yz250 wouldn't be more fun on a track and possibly trail for a perma novice like me?

Of course actual testing is the best way to know.  Swap bikes at some point to confirm it's less about the rider. 

Are you a better rider than your buddy?  Speed is 90% skill and maybe 10% bike.   Kailub Russel beat the entire XC1 class on a KTM150.  Up against 450's and such.  He even got a mid pack start and came back and passed the field.  Check it out on Youtube.  It was impressive.  

The difference is which bikes faster because we race people in the neighborhood and want to know how bad I would smoke them

Also I think it will but still not sure, his brother has a yz250f, not sure of the year but I know it's a little newer than the 426 but we will also race, bike stock with Dr d exhaust and performance intake, it is slower than the 250 2 stroke, If the 250 beats me will I atleast beat the 250f?

The difference is which bikes faster because we race people in the neighborhood and want to know how bad I would smoke them

Questions like this tend not to be well received by people who spend a lot of time with dirt bikes for a couple of reasons.  For one, none of the bikes you listed were ever built as drag racers, so where any of them would beat the other is something that the manufacturer never cared about while building it in the first place.  That in turn is because most of the people who use them for their intended purpose don't care about drag racing, either.  They're built for racing on an MX course or in the woods or deserts, where cornering, climbing, descending, and generally handling rough terrain at speed are skills at a premium, not drag racing.  Certainly, the ability to accelerate hard, even from a standstill, plays a part in these pursuits, but only a part.  Any reasonably good racer will be able to tell you that he's beaten lots of people over the years that were on more powerful, quicker, faster bikes than his own by playing superior skills against them in places other than on the straights.

Of the 3 bikes you listed, the 426 has the most power and the most gearing in stock form, giving it a significantly higher top speed.  The '97 is actually apt to be a bit less powerful than the 250F, but if you can't launch the big bike, or control it well enough to find traction with it, either one may well beat you.  And again, not many people here care about the winner of a drag race one way or other.  It's a little bit like comparing the length of one's genitals to establish who's "better".   I would, for example take the 250F out on an MX or desert race course against you on your 426 and probably hand you both your back pockets, and then you'd have been beat by a bike with at least 7-8 less horsepower , one that would or should never win a drag race against the bigger bike.  Thus the question, "what difference does it make?"

The other thing is that it's an obviously "newbie" question, if that matters.

FYI: a power band is not a part.

6 people like this

The 250f is a 48 tooth in the back I think, pretty fast but not as fast as the 250, also a little heavier than the 250, has better throttle response and maybe a little faster than the 250 off the line

We don't ride on tracks because we really never get around to it, we just ride on the rode and 1 small trail about 50 yards long with 2 corners, that's why this question was about drag racing because all we really do is ride on the rode

Questions like this tend not to be well received by people who spend a lot of time with dirt bikes for a couple of reasons. For one, none of the bikes you listed were ever built as drag racers, so where any of them would beat the other is something that the manufacturer never cared about while building it in the first place. That in turn is because most of the people who use them for their intended purpose don't care about drag racing, either. They're built for racing on an MX course or in th ewoods or deserts, where cornering, climbing, descending, and generally handling rough terrain at speed, not drag racing. Certainly, the ability to accelerate hard, even from a standstill, plays a part in these pursuits, but only a part. Any reasonably good racer will be able to tell you that he's beaten lots of people over the years that were on more powerful, quicker, faster bikes than his own by playing superior skills against them in places other than on the straights.

Of the 3 bikes you listed, the 426 has the most power and the most gearing in stock form, giving it a significantly higher top speed. The '97 is actually apt to be a bit less powerful than the 250F, but if you can't launch the big bike, or control it well enough to find traction with it, either one may well beat you. And again, not many people here care about the winner of a drag race one way or other. It's a little bit like comparing the length of one's genitals to establish who's "better". I would, for example take the 250F out on an MX or desert race course against you on your 426 and probably hand you both your back pockets, and then you'd have been beat by a bike with at least 7-8 less horsepower , one that would or should never win a drag race against the bigger bike. Thus the question, "what difference does it make?"

The other thing is that it's an obviously "newbie" question, if that matters.

FYI: a power band is not a part.

This answer makes a lot of sense, the '97 is the most nimble of the two 250 but it's probably because it's got the best rider, he can throw the smoker around easy