Seat Consepts or other?

I'm finally plating my 06 450. I can't see DS'ing on the stock seat. My butt hurts just thinking about it. I love my Seat Concepts on my DRZ. When I look up whats available for the 450 I see only two choices. They both seem to be stock height, which doesn't surprise me as it doesn't seem like theres any room to take away height with that pan. The only difference is gripper sides or carbon fiber sides. I'm short and don't want to get hung up on the seat when I need to slide off to stop or dab. Would the gripper sides make that much of a difference over the other? I like the fact the gripper sides are blue rather than the all black other option. Or is there another seat out there somewhere that would be as comfy as Seat Concepts?

Edited by DESERTJUL

I just did this at work yesterday. I had already shaved my seat which as you can guess made it harder than the stock seat. I could not stand it anymore so I made this:

post-193538-14536752488821_thumb.jpg

Look like this:

post-193538-14536752779674_thumb.jpg     

No since I just did it yesterday I have  not got to ride it yet but I can tell you this Seat Concepts lowered seat is way more comfortable then my stock height seat was!     

• Like 2

i have the standard height seat concepts on my 14' wr450 and its great! 

i opted for the gripper top and carbon fiber sides. if i had to do it again, i would opt for the gripper all around. I noticed the last few times when standing that i have less grip on the bike when squeezing my knees together. 

overall, its a great seat and wouldn't think twice about doing it again. 

Edited by Gabex35

I didn't see that there was a choice of the lower seat height for this one. I have the lower one on my DRZ. The standard height is much more comfy than the lower but still better than stock. Hmmm, I guess I need to call them.

i have the standard height seat concepts on my 14' wr450 and its great! 

i opted for the gripper top and carbon fiber sides. if i had to do it again, i would opt for the gripper all around. I noticed the last few times when standing that i have less grip on the bike when squeezing my knees together. 

overall, its a great seat and wouldn't think twice about doing it again. 

Good point. I like the dual color, too.

Jul- I'm looking at the same thing with Seat Concepts for my (new to me) 450, and also considering ways to make the bike less tall.   And I'm 5'11".  

It's difficult just to get ON the bike unless it's on the kickstand!

5'11"? Haha, I wish ? I'm only 5'4". I did have the suspension lowered internally when I get it done and its still tall lol.

Btw, sorry I snaked that Moose bag out from under ya ? When ya gonna be ready to get out on that 450?

Edited by DESERTJUL

Funny thing about that Moose bag... I rode with DavidM last Saturday- from Blue Diamond to Goodsprings and back, but on the little bike, TTR225.  (I was actually looking for an XT225/XT250 when I found the TTR225.) David mentioned giving you the Moose bag, and it was only then that I remembered my intention to put a small billet rack on the back of the 450.  So I didn't need the bag as much as I thought!

The new battery arrived yesterday for the 450 and I got that bolted in.  The starter is ordered-  it'll be here this week, but when I install the starter, I'm going to pull the rear subframe and have a look at the carb too.  It seems to bog and stall just off idle until it's totally warmed up so I want to have a look at jets as well as installing an extended fuel screw.

The bike is technically rideable right now, but kick only.   So I'm trying to talk my buddy Justin into riding that same route this Saturday.  He's a crack mechanic, 6'2" (and much younger than me), so if I stall and can't restart the bike, I'll have him on tap to help.  

Or tow me.  

Or fix it on the spot.

Or help me dig a hole and bury it in the desert.   

I'm working on getting him motivated now.  It'll probably be early-ish, like meet in Blue Diamond around 9:30 or so.   As soon as I can get him to commit to a time, I'll post an update here.

• Like 2

Funny thing about that Moose bag... I rode with DavidM last Saturday- from Blue Diamond to Goodsprings and back, but on the little bike, TTR225.  (I was actually looking for an XT225/XT250 when I found the TTR225.) David mentioned giving you the Moose bag, and it was only then that I remembered my intention to put a small billet rack on the back of the 450.  So I didn't need the bag as much as I thought!

The new battery arrived yesterday for the 450 and I got that bolted in.  The starter is ordered-  it'll be here this week, but when I install the starter, I'm going to pull the rear subframe and have a look at the carb too.  It seems to bog and stall just off idle until it's totally warmed up so I want to have a look at jets as well as installing an extended fuel screw.

The bike is technically rideable right now, but kick only.   So I'm trying to talk my buddy Justin into riding that same route this Saturday.  He's a crack mechanic, 6'2" (and much younger than me), so if I stall and can't restart the bike, I'll have him on tap to help.  

Or tow me.  

Or fix it on the spot.

I'm working on getting him motivated now.  It'll probably be early-ish, like meet in Blue Diamond around 9:30 or so.   As soon as I can get him to commit to a time, I'll post an update here.

Seat Concepts is popular around here for good reason. If that doesn't work for ya for your WR I had great luck with these guys: http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html.

It was a little pricey but those guys took care of everything including getting the OEM seat pan so I didn't have to mess with sending them mine. They lowered the seat 1"" +  and widened it a bit and it is comfortable.

Maybe you will get lucky and stall on top of a hill... :ride:

• Like 1

I have it on my rack on my 400, same as my last one.

Or tow me.  

Or fix it on the spot.

I'm looking at doing some riding around the BC/ Nelson Hills/ Searchlight area Sat. You're welcome to join us. Let me know if you're interested. I might ride the Spg Mtns Fri, not sure if you're free then. Let me know 373-0396 (text or leave a message cuz I don't answer unknow numbers)

Edited by DESERTJUL

Us working stiffs aren't available to ride on Friday.  nono.gif  

In other news, I'm creating a shirt with an embroidered motorcycle & rider image that says BORN TO RIDE... forced to work. It's the story of my life...

I think Saturday I'm going to do Blue Diamond/Goodsprings again if I can get it together quickly enough.   I found one of my sub-frame bolts is sheared off, so I started dis-assembly last night to remove the sub-frame and drill that bolt out. My new starter will be in this week, and I really want to go through the carb while I do the starter, and I really want to do it all while the sub-frame is off, so it remains to be seen if I'll get it all done in time or do the bolt and put it back together and ride Saturday and then take it back apart when carb parts arrive, or dig in and do everything and have a maintenance day(s) while it's apart that far.

I read an interesting article about a California guy that only rode his (brand new back then) 2005 WR450 on the MX track.  Of course that's not what it's made for, but he did it anyway for several years.

It's informative to see what failed and what wore out as he put hundreds of laps and thousands of jumps on the bike- 15 jumps per lap, and his onboard video looks pretty brutal.

He cracked the welds at both footpeg brackets.  Cracked a frame weld below the steering head.  Had sprocket/hub mount hole elongation. Had 3rd gear transmission failure.  He put over 10,000 miles on that bike on the track only before it failed to the point that he bought a second one.  (He also had a sub-frame bolt shear off.)

I believe he's currently (finally!) riding a YZF450.  

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/10730/

Michael

Us working stiffs aren't available to ride on Friday.  nono.gif

In other news, I'm creating a shirt with an embroidered motorcycle & rider image that says BORN TO RIDE... forced to work. It's the story of my life...

I think Saturday I'm going to do Blue Diamond/Goodsprings again if I can get it together quickly enough.   I found one of my sub-frame bolts is sheared off, so I started dis-assembly last night to remove the sub-frame and drill that bolt out. My new starter will be in this week, and I really want to go through the carb while I do the starter, and I really want to do it all while the sub-frame is off, so it remains to be seen if I'll get it all done in time or do the bolt and put it back together and ride Saturday and then take it back apart when carb parts arrive, or dig in and do everything and have a maintenance day(s) while it's apart that far.

I read an interesting article about a California guy that only rode his (brand new back then) 2005 WR450 on the MX track.  Of course that's not what it's made for, but he did it anyway for several years.

It's informative to see what failed and what wore out as he put hundreds of laps and thousands of jumps on the bike- 15 jumps per lap, and his onboard video looks pretty brutal.

He cracked the welds at both footpeg brackets.  Cracked a frame weld below the steering head.  Had sprocket/hub mount hole elongation. Had 3rd gear transmission failure.  He put over 10,000 miles on that bike on the track only before it failed to the point that he bought a second one.  (He also had a sub-frame bolt shear off.)

I believe he's currently (finally!) riding a YZF450.  

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/10730/

Michael

My Sat ride turned into a Fri ride so if you're riding Sat I'll prolly be up to joining you there. If not, I'll prolly install my DS kit.

Looks like my starter and carb parts are being delivered today, so I should be in great shape for Saturday morning.

I want to take a pass at cleaning the carb (or at least look at it) while it's apart, and install an extended fuel screw.  

My mechanic buddy is off Friday, so I may be able to get him to button up anything not finished by Friday, to clear the way for riding on Saturday morning.

Michael

203 3586

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get your DS stuff put on?   I bolted the plate on mine today.  It doesn't have signals, and the new headlight isn't wired up yet, but it is registered and insured.  

It has a knob tire on the back, I'm gonna go to a trials tire (Shinko 241) but I'm gonna let this one wear out a bit before I change it over.  I went down one tooth on the front sprocket to gear it a little lower.

I also put handlebar risers on, to make it more comfortable when standing.

12710920_10207634491678583_6347664648399

Edited by ftl900