Frames Braking?

Who says they're breaking? I've heard of problems with older model yz450fs and isolated cases on the 2014-2015 yz250f but nothing on the 2016 yz450f.

I did as did many others. I disagree that is you sell so many you're bound to see some failures. Some are from faster riders some are not as fast

http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Noahdog59/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151128_155002_zpstcyyjuit.jpg.html

Is it just the '16's to watch out for on the frames breaking or has the '15's been reported too?

Thank you 

No, its 14s, 15s and 16s..percentages I don't know..but its a problem in my opinion. Yamaha did not step up and help me! Mine is a 14 and I am a vet rider so take what you will about how hard I'm stressing the frame. http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/15-16-Yamaha-frame-cracks,1294019

I did as did many others. I disagree that is you sell so many you're bound to see some failures. Some are from faster riders some are not as fast

http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Noahdog59/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151128_155002_zpstcyyjuit.jpg.html

Well I guess I stand corrected. This is the first time I'm hearing of the 2014-2016 yz450f frames cracking. This is got me more than a little worried. We currently own a 2016 yz450 and 250f and I'm hearing of far too many problems with both models. So now on top of the the rod issues, the electrical issues, we now have frame issues...WTF YAMAHA! 

I think it's hit and miss.My son put 150 hours on the 2014 250f practice bike with no problems and have 80 hours on the other practice 250f bike that used to be the race bike,his 2015 450 dubs as practice and race bike has 50 hours no problems.

All at pro level riding

That's not the only place cracks have developed.  The first report of any such thing I recall seeing was in '07 models; 3-4 cracked at the head.  Then very few more very rarely until the '10 cam out, after which there have been 2 reports of cracks along the top spars near the head, behind the shrouds.  The occasional swing arm here and there, that's about it.  

What I haven't seen is any kind of complete separation. 

"Cold welds" will crack at the junction of the bead with the work material. Since most of the cracks I have seen have been running up the length of the bead itself, my first guess would be that the welded area was improperly cooled or treated post-welding.  

• 8 months later...

Well I guess I stand corrected. This is the first time I'm hearing of the 2014-2016 yz450f frames cracking. This is got me more than a little worried. We currently own a 2016 yz450 and 250f and I'm hearing of far too many problems with both models. So now on top of the the rod issues, the electrical issues, we now have frame issues...WTF YAMAHA!

I haven't heard of any problems. Only the article that mxa put out and this thread. Its a cold weld issue and it doesn't affect every bike. If yours isnt cracked dont worry about it.

Is it just the '16's to watch out for on the frames breaking or has the '15's been reported too?

Thank you

Well I guess I stand corrected. This is the first time I'm hearing of the 2014-2016 yz450f frames cracking. This is got me more than a little worried. We currently own a 2016 yz450 and 250f and I'm hearing of far too many problems with both models. So now on top of the the rod issues, the electrical issues, we now have frame issues...WTF YAMAHA

What rod issues?

The '14 got a new connecting rod which they replaced the following year because there were a small number of problems related to a loose fit at the wrist pin.  I've only heard of 2 real problems developing because of that, however.

As far as frames go, this happens every time there's a model redesign.  Some freestyler manages to crack a frame and it's an epidemic all of a sudden.  People cracked the '10+ frame, they cracked the '06+ frame, and they cracked the steel frames.  It's really pretty rare.

• Like 1

Some good examples in this thread (even as far back as 2007):  http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/15-16-Yamaha-frame-cracks,1294019?page=1

I did ask the Rock River guys if they had seen any problems on the current bikes and the answer was yes, but only 2 of their pro team bikes.  Take that for what it is, but they are probably one of the largest YZ dealers in the US.

Well I notice people keep quoting what I said almost a year ago so let me respond. We currently own a 16 yz450f and16 250f and have had zero issues with both bikes.We also owned a 14 yz250f and the only problem we ever had on it was a clutch issue, but that was due to my son abusing the clutch. In regards to frames cracking, I have only seen one and that was on a 15 yz250f, but the kid that races that bike is very hard on his bikes. Back in Jan when I originally responded to this I have to admit I was a little worried, but not anymore. The current generation yz's have been just as reliable as the other yz's we've owned.

• Like 2