Stripped gas tank shroud nut

I'm doing this for my bud Jimco (who I'm trying to get to be a member, something about computer illiteracy LOL).

Anyway he put bolts to replace his screws (1st mistake) and now he can't remove the bolt. It's the top one, to take off his shrouds to put on his desert tank. The nutplate just spins, any suggestions?

Thx in advance,

G

You guys probably already tried this but...

Get a small flat head screw driver and you should be able to wedge it between the shroud and the tank by the stripped bolt

Gently pry up and try and back out the bolt with the pressure on it.

Hopefully you can pull the bolt out enough that some of the good threads catch or enough pressure on the insert that it stops spinning.

Tell your buddy to stay off the steroids too.

Or just buy some new shrouds for the other tank and worry about it later

Good luck

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: DPW ]

I had the same problem with my right side top screw holding the radiator schroud to the tank.

I have pried/glued, twisted and still cannot get the darn screw off. I eventually cut the schroud off and put a new on one, safety wiring it to the protruding screw. I will worry about it later when I have some cash....

Originally posted by G-Man:

I'm doing this for my bud Jimco (who I'm trying to get to be a member, something about computer illiteracy LOL).

Anyway he put bolts to replace his screws (1st mistake) and now he can't remove the bolt. It's the top one, to take off his shrouds to put on his desert tank. The nutplate just spins, any suggestions?

Thx in advance,

G

See if you can get something in there(very long needle nose)to hold the washer while you turn the bolt.

What happens is the alum. washer makes a tight bond between the brass insert and the bolt.

If you can get a hold of the washer while you turn the bolt, it should come out fairly easy.

I had this happen to me, and the above worked great. I spent hours trying everything, then it came to me to try this. And in about 10 seconds it came off. ? Hope you have as good of luck as I did.

~Hitman~

~Hitman~

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]