HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

dattorob

trouble starting 2005 YZ450f

6 posts in this topic

Hi there

A while back i began having trouble starting my 450. I suspected it was the valves as the hours

were getting up since rebuild.

So i reshimmed them , only one intake valve was slightly out of spec.

I also cleaned the carb whilst i had it apart.

I put it all back together and seems even harder to start.

The only way i can start it now is by push starting it, and then if it fires keeping

the throttle on etc, even then it dies quickly, but at least it does start.

I did put new fuel in and made sure the airfilter wasn't over oiled.

I suspect the carburetor still isn't right?

Would that plate that goes onto the slide inside the carburetor possibly

cause these sort of issues if i mistakenly got it upside down?

Also i noticed the bowl leaking a bit which it didn't used to so maybe that

needs adjusting.

Appreciate any ideas.

regards

Robert  :banghead:

Yes, the slide can be, and commonly is, installed upside down by mistake.  "Square" end goes down, not the rounded one.

If the float bowl is leaking from the gasket, it's just a leak.  If it's leaking from the center drain/overflow tube, it's flooding. 

just thought i would report back to say, i got the carb rebuilt by tokyo mods and then still had a bit of trouble starting so i dropped the pilot jet down a few sizes to a 42, whammo all sorted, easy starting. cheers  :thumbsup:

just thought i would report back to say, i got the carb rebuilt by tokyo mods and then still had a bit of trouble starting so i dropped the pilot jet down a few sizes to a 42, whammo all sorted, easy starting. cheers :thumbsup:

I have been sorting the same issue with my 08. I figured stock pilot should work at msl and arid 15 degree Celsius but it was just too rich. 42 pilot for the win!!

ok thats great. I might add that i have a fair few mods done to my engine. Also altitude here is around 1000ft. I guess there are lot of variables that influence jetting.