HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

desertwheelspin

Backfire - Help boiling down where to start first

5 posts in this topic

The purpose of this post is to get some input on where I should start looking first for the solution to the backfiring issue.

When my bike died, it was running beautifully.

Just rebuilt my first top end on an 08 yz450.   I was meticulous in following the steps via the manual.   Compression feels good, but is backfiring frequently.  I blew the top end up so I remember how much backfiring was happening on decel.  Backfiring is now happening on accel and decel.  After a bunch of online research I understand that this can be from the following things: 

Jetting

Exhaust leak 

Valves clearances out of spec

Here's some info about the bike.  Valve broke, and got wedged in the valve seat in the cylinder head.  Brought that head to a very good local machinist who cut the valve head out and repaired the damage on the cylinder head.  He adjusted the valves for me.  (By the way replaced the timing chain, thinking it was the chain that was the culprit leading to the damaged engine).

I have an aftermarket FMF header and silencer.   The connection from the header to the mid-pipe has no sort of clamp or gasket to seal air in that area.  I don't remember there ever being one.  But if there is an air leak issue with the exhaust I could imagine that's where it would be.  Is there supposed to be a mechanism to solidly connect those?  I have not yet put gasket sealer back onto where I tried to take the silencer off to repack.

When my bike died it was back in September and was around  70 degrees.  Starting the bike and hearing the backfire it was around 38 degrees.  

My fuel screw is turned out 2.5 turns.  

I have heard mixed reviews of people saying backfiring is caused by a rich mixture, and others saying a lean mix.  Will someone give a solid answer to that?  

Any help on this is appreciated.  I've spent a bunch of hours working on the bike, which was fun.  But really I just want to ride now.  Getting help with ideas on what is most likely the culprit would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by desertwheelspin

The first place to look is at your exhaust system.  If the carb is perfect, an air leak at either end of the header will cause exhaust backfire on decel.

You should also be aware that a correctly jetted YZ450 with a well sealed exhaust will crackle and pop "some" on deceleration as a normal behavior.  

Fueling is probably not correct for the bike , AM pipes don't help unless you are also willing to invest the PITA it is to get a good tune .

I would see what people have posted for jet specs for your particular configuration and year just to get a start and go from there.

But first make sure exhaust is good and sealed up with no leaks and same goes for airbox .

How did you set the valve clearances once you got it back together ?

And back fires can be rich or lean but tend to be a lean condition. Especially on race motors where there is so much focus on scavenging effects rich jetting could cause a poor cycle on one rev which causes a lean condition on the next resulting in a backfire.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By troyboysonicc
      Looking to get a new exhaust system for my 09 yz250f what gives the most noticeable difference in power? Both top or bottom 
      looking at the megabomb with the 4.1 but what would you guys recommend? Thanks
    • By Matt Feldbauer
      Hey guys so i have a pretty interesting scenario going on here. I got a used kx65 on craigslist that needed the bottom end rebuilt, couldn't really hear it run because the knock from the crank and bearings was so bad, so i replaced the crank, bearings, seals, and gaskets. (In my college apartment living room) Bike started in a few kicks! Here is where it gets interesting It starts up totally fine but anything past idle, it really spits and sputters, and past half throttle it wants to cut it out completely. I tried cleaning the carb once, checking the plug and it looks to be burning fine, adjusting the clip position on the needle jet up and down both ways, new gas. Could it be possible the top end would cause that? I did put the old piston in it but it didnt have much sign of wear, but I could be way off. Or is there some stuff I should try first again? Cleaning the carb again? Im open to any and all suggestions! Not willing to give up now, its so close to being done! I have rebuilt quite a few bikes now, 4 and 2 stroke so i have a decent amount of fix it know how, just really stumped on this.
    • By Wspencer522
      I have a 2003 crf450r and when I got the bike it came with a white brothers carbin pro exhaust and was told it came from a 250f. The SS pipe mount between the muffler and header pipe does not line up without making a bracket but everything else fits.. The muffler mount ended up breaking and looking for a new one to put on now but bike specific ones are through the roof in price.
      Does anyone know what 250f year might be the one I had so I know what to look for. Or any years compatible. 450/250 to a 2003 450f
      I've read the page for compatible 450s saying 02/03 header the same and need full exhaust to run 03/04. 
    • By TPA-MX
      Hello all,
      WOW, I have missed the community during the upgrade, but I am glad we are back up and running.  I am in the process of replacing the top end on a YZ125 and going over my CRF250r and replacing all the items that need to be replaced.
      Let's get back to the CRF.  The right muffler had a big dent in the cone tip, enough that it was driving me crazy, so I bought a used one off Ebay to replace it.  When I installed it, I noticed that the diameter of the hole was much smaller than the left muffler.  The guy who sold it to me said it was pulled off an 07 CRF250r, just like my bike.  
      So, is the right muffler hole (at the end of the muffler) smaller than the left one?  I just want to make sure I was sent the right one.
      Here are some pics of the new one installed.

• By Red_250X
      Just wanted to give you X fans some real world successful jetting settings. I just got back from a trip to Colorado and wanted to share these settings.
      Our camp was at 6100' and we rode up to 13,000'. Temperature was between 65 and 85 (absolutely PERFECT!).
      Modifications:
      Airbox opened about a third of CCC recommendations.
      Baffle removed, but spark arrester in place.
      Pilot jet changed from 40 to 42.
      Setup:
      -Needle in stock position
      -Main jet - 142
      -Air screw at stock position (I probably could have made some improvement, but I was having too much fun riding and I didn't experience any hesitation)
      The bike ran great and climbed some HUGE hills. Most of our riding was single track, switchbacks, very difficult and technical - a lot of 1st and 2nd gear.
      NOTE!! Apparently, the 250X is jetted lean in stock form. Opening the airbox and removing the baffle leans the carb even further. IF YOU DO THESE MODS, REJET YOUR CARB!!! Otherwise you could do serious damage to the motor. It will run significantly cooler when it is not lean. I live at about 600' and am running a 152 main jet.