Spark arrestor for stock YZ450FX muffler

I was trying to come up with a way to add a spark arrestor to the stock muffler of my 450FX, which is the exact same muffler on the YZ450F, without buying a new exhaust or an expensive new end cap.  I ended up using a spark arrestor for a DR D NS-4 muffler.

20151228_153348-1.jpg

Good creativity but if you get a surly ranger who notices your pipe isn't stamped "USFS approved" you're likely to get a ticket, or at the very least a good scolding and probably told to park your bike.

It comes with an aluminum sticker that says USFS approved.    

I was the first in my area to get the FX. 

Dang, thanks for the heads up.  All this time i never noticed I typed 540.  I don't think I can change it.  Any of you moderators out there can you change the title?

20151230_123340-1.jpg

Edited by msgbean

Wish I had read this thread a month ago.   I had the same issue with my YZ250FX.  Stock muffler didn't have a SA and I didn't want the heavy billet end cap.   Rather than face a hefty fine, I bought an FMF.

Where did you get it from ?

I got it from rocky mountain. Free shipping during Christmas.  They are pretty much the same price everywhere including Amazon. But unless you include it with something else you will be hit with shipping.  Just make sure its for an NS4.  Be advised everyone, including DR D website, uses a generic picture that doesn't look like the actual product.  

Also, be advised, there at a least two different sizes.  My son got a Dr D exhaust for his FX and it came with the spark arrestor. It measured about 1.3" in diameter which would have been just about perfect to slide over the stinger in the picture above.  The one I got from Rocky Mountain appears to be for a Suzuki and measures 1.625" which is just about right to slide into the larger inner pipe.  I got it to work but would have rather had the smaller one.

20151228_144944_resized.jpg

I got it from rocky mountain. Free shipping during Christmas.  They are pretty much the same price everywhere including Amazon. But unless you include it with something else you will be hit with shipping.  Just make sure its for an NS4.  Be advised everyone, including DR D website, uses a generic picture that doesn't look like the actual product.  

Also, be advised, there at a least two different sizes.  My son got a Dr D exhaust for his FX and it came with the spark arrestor. It measured about 1.3" in diameter which would have been just about perfect to slide over the stinger in the picture above.  The one I got from Rocky Mountain appears to be for a Suzuki and measures 1.625" which is just about right to slide into the larger inner pipe.  I got it to work but would have rather had the smaller one.

Is his the 450 or the 250?  Not sure why I care right now, still working on convincing the wife I need another bike...

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2016 at 5:53 PM, msgbean said:

Its the 450 but I would bet the 250 is very similiar.

Ended up, attempting this as well. RM sent the larger diameter spark arrestor. Did you fasten it to the inner core in any way or did you just make it a bit wider and leave it in there and let exhaust pressure hold it in place? 

How's it holding up? 

Thanks for the advice! 

1 hour ago, x293x said:

Ended up, attempting this as well. RM sent the larger diameter spark arrestor. Did you fasten it to the inner core in any way or did you just make it a bit wider and leave it in there and let exhaust pressure hold it in place? 

How's it holding up? 

Thanks for the advice! 

I have had it in for over a year now with no problems and it hasn't moved.  I bent some ears like in this photo so that it fit snug and you are right, the back pressure will not let it go the other way.

20151228_150014.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! Was planning on just throwing it in there but I like your idea a lot better. Just hope a Leo doesn't jam a stick in there too hard. 

Was it me or were those rivets super difficult to remove? Wish I had a drill press... 

On 2/6/2017 at 5:47 PM, x293x said:

Was it me or were those rivets super difficult to remove? Wish I had a drill press... 

I don't remember them being difficult.  Just drill the head and punch them to the inside.  I hope it all works out for you.  Best of luck.