2004 CRF250X

2005 CRF450X

2003 WR450F

2007 WR450F#1

2007 WR450F#2

2008 WR450F

2012 500XCW

2013 350XCFW

...and the 2016 BETA 450RR-RE (red sticker, AZ plate, so it does not count !)

...plus....my other bikes I tried to plate, and failed (all red sticker...)

2002 CRF450R

2005 CRF450R

2008 CRF450R#1

2008 CRF450R#2

2008 KX450F

2012 450SXF

Plated mine here in NM...no issues if you go to the right place.  Hell, even my KX250 is plated.

IMO, its Cali that's the problem.

I have a street tag on my 250X.  You looking for logic from California?  

This is all the same info...Some make it work, some don't

Just remember folks CA hates dirt bikes on the street.......and in general

All CA plated privately

Never any issues

Still own

2002 XR650R (in 2004)

2003 XR650R (in 2006)

2004 CRF250X

2005 CRF450X

2003 WR450F

2007 WR450F#1

2007 WR450F#2

2008 WR450F

2012 500XCW

2013 350XCFW

...and the 2016 BETA 450RR-RE (red sticker, AZ plate, so it does not count !)

...plus....my other bikes I tried to plate, and failed (all red sticker...)

2002 CRF450R

2005 CRF450R

2008 CRF450R#1

2008 CRF450R#2

2008 KX450F

2012 450SXF

Do you have a home in AZ?

You guys in Cali have it rough. We have 2 stroke mx bikes plated here. I know a couple guys who ride their plated ktm 2 strokes to hare scrambles. I personally wouldn't do it but it's nice to have that freedom.

Do you have a home in AZ?

No

No

Hopefully you never get pulled over.

^^^^^^^^^This

Edit - with the exception being back in '06 I believe when some dealers got caught still doing the conversions. OCHonda was one of those dealers.

Yeah OCHonda got busted plus another shop ( can't recall rge name but i think they are long gone).

Hopefully you never get pulled over.

Can I have your phone number? 

You will be the first one I call to say thank you for 'telling me so'. 

Can I have your phone number?

You will be the first one I call to say thank you for 'telling me so'.

I first hand have seena few bikes towed for having an out of state license but a cali tag. It is a pretty expensive lesson.

I first hand have seena few bikes towed for having an out of state license but a cali tag. It is a pretty expensive lesson.

Sure you have.

Sure you have.

Yep...Cousin owns a towing service in the Temecula area. I was visiting them when they brought one in and had two others sitting in the yard.

Yep...Cousin owns a towing service in the Temecula area. I was visiting them when they brought one in and had two others sitting in the yard.

Just give him your number so he can call you. He already has mine :D

In California, the DMV process is inconsistent from what I have heard, but my experience with them is amazingly simple. On multiple dirt bikes in the last few months, including red sticker 2 strokes, I passed inspection with just a light kit and GPS for the speedo/odometer.  I have never been asked to turn on the bike or have its emissions or pipes or tires checked.  DMV does check for matching VIN and engine numbers to the title.  I was advised by online forums to put on DOT tires and use special stickers on the pipe and bodywork, but DMV never checked any of that.  I bet I can plate anything on two wheels with a motor now, although I had always believed it was a difficult process.  To say this cannot be done is complete BS.  I have had success at multiple DMV offices in the LA area.

You're probably going to get some responses and PMs.

In California, the DMV process is inconsistent from what I have heard, but my experience with them is amazingly simple. On multiple dirt bikes in the last few months, including red sticker 2 strokes, I passed inspection with just a light kit and GPS for the speedo/odometer.  I have never been asked to turn on the bike or have its emissions or pipes or tires checked.  DMV does check for matching VIN and engine numbers to the title.  I was advised by online forums to put on DOT tires and use special stickers on the pipe and bodywork, but DMV never checked any of that.  I bet I can plate anything on two wheels with a motor now, although I had always believed it was a difficult process.  To say this cannot be done is complete BS.  I have had success at multiple DMV offices in the LA area.

No pics no pink no proof

I agree. I will do another kx250 2-stroke in two weeks.  I will take pix before, during (at DMV), and after.

CA seems to be pretty inconsistent, some area's just seem more relaxed about it....man.....

Edited by Arctic Pride

In California, the DMV process is inconsistent from what I have heard, but my experience with them is amazingly simple. On multiple dirt bikes in the last few months, including red sticker 2 strokes, I passed inspection with just a light kit and GPS for the speedo/odometer. I have never been asked to turn on the bike or have its emissions or pipes or tires checked. DMV does check for matching VIN and engine numbers to the title. I was advised by online forums to put on DOT tires and use special stickers on the pipe and bodywork, but DMV never checked any of that. I bet I can plate anything on two wheels with a motor now, although I had always believed it was a difficult process. To say this cannot be done is complete BS. I have had success at multiple DMV offices in the LA area.

inconsistencies in government offices? no way!

I bet a large number off people give up with their first try.

Alaska won't plate them either.  I was able to get mine titled and plated through Vermont with just an official letter from a State Trooper stating it had the required equipment. They sent me a title/registration/plate and I then took the title down to Alaska DMV and was able to get an Alaska plate.  Where there is a will, there is a way.