So when is the YZ350F/FX going to appear ?

Yamaha has some really great bikes these days.  YZ250F, YZ450F, YZ250FX and YZ450FX.  It seems they are really starting to take the off road scene seriously.

But KTM claims that their best selling 4 stroke is the 350 XCF.  It outsells their 250s and 450s.  It is just such a nice size.  

So what are the chances that Yamaha is going to come out with a YZ350FX ?  And when will we see it ?

Yamaha has some really great bikes these days.  YZ250F, YZ450F, YZ250FX and YZ450FX.  It seems they are really starting to take the off road scene seriously.

But KTM claims that their best selling 4 stroke is the 350 XCF.  It outsells their 250s and 450s.  It is just such a nice size.  

So what are the chances that Yamaha is going to come out with a YZ350FX ?  And when will we see it ?

When will the Sun cool down?

• Like 3

If I were a motorcycle manufacturer, I don't think I could see enough demand to cover the cost of development for a 350 MX/Off-road bike.  I also don't think there would be the advantage to one that most people imagine.  There's only a 15 pound difference between the 250F and the 450.  Anyone who thinks a 350 would only be a couple pounds heavier than the 250F is kidding themselves. 

• Like 1

The KTM 250/350/450 weights are all pretty close.  And yet the KTM 350XCF is an entirely different bike than their 250 and 450.  For some reason that 100ccs makes a big difference both ways.

I have a YZ250FX.  I find it a bit under powered.  I'm going to buy a YZ450FX.  I suspect it is going to be more than I need.  Something in between would be nice.  

I don't think Yamaha can over look this.  I'm hoping they respond with a bike.

The KTM 250/350/450 weights are all pretty close.  And yet the KTM 350XCF is an entirely different bike than their 250 and 450.  For some reason that 100ccs makes a big difference both ways.

I have a YZ250FX.  I find it a bit under powered.  I'm going to buy a YZ450FX.  I suspect it is going to be more than I need.  Something in between would be nice.  

I don't think Yamaha can over look this.  I'm hoping they respond with a bike.

You better be very young, the wait could/will be lengthy. A riding buddy just sold his 250FX due to being underpowered. He got the 250X and is very happy and he was a long time dedicated 4stroke guy.

Edited by YHGEORGE

It took Yamaha 15 years to come out with a trail version of their 2-stroke platform, and it is literally the same platform.  Only 10 years or so of KTM dominating the trail bike market share is all it took to shake them up and get them to come forward with a response to it.

Get comfy.

• Like 1

It took Yamaha 15 years to come out with a trail version of their 2-stroke platform, and it is literally the same platform.  Only 10 years or so of KTM dominating the trail bike market share is all it took to shake them up and get them to come forward with a response to it.

Get comfy.

Well, technically they re-released the trail version of the 2 stroke but I agree with you.  The WR250 2 strokes had a pretty good fan base back when they were still available (and still do really).  I feel fortunate to own the last iteration of the WR pingers.

I am on the same page as you. I would love for my next bike to be a YZ350FX, but I won't be in the market for another 5 years or so.

Get comfy.

Are you referring to the 1981 IT465.............

• 4 months later...

I don't get the hype over 350's, they're only a few pounds lighter than a 450 and it's not like even a 450 has uncontrollable power. 

Spend some time on a properly set up YZ250FX.   They are almost magical.  If you could get the same feel with more power, you wouldn't be able to make enough of them.   Maybe it doesn't need to be a 350.  Maybe it is a 300, not a 350.  

The 250 has a lot of grunt and good top end power.  It just doesn't have enough overall power.  But man does it handle well.  You find a way to add 40% more power to a YZ250FX and keep the handling the same, and it would be unbeatable.

As it stands, I love my YZ250FX, but I miss the power of my WR.    

Caveat: I haven't ridden the YZ450FX yet.

My guess is that the 350FX will be released the same time as the 300X.

Never. Let's just be glad the boys in blue remembered those of us who prefer spending our day out on the trails instead of the MX track.

• Like 2

My guess is that the 350FX will be released the same time as the 300X.

Never.

If Yamaha wants market share and relevance off road, these products would give them that.  A fuel injected, electric start 300 2 stroke ?  With Yamaha reliability and suspension ?   Are you kidding me ? 

I'm a 4 stroke guy, but I'd run out and buy one.  There are many, many orange bike riders who would kill for SSS forks on a competitive 300 2 stroke.

• Like 2

If I were a motorcycle manufacturer, I don't think I could see enough demand to cover the cost of development for a 350 MX/Off-road bike.

Isn't the 350 the best selling displacement KTM makes? Seems to me that it would make sense to make a 350.

• Like 1

If Yamaha wants market share and relevance off road, these products would give them that. A fuel injected, electric start 300 2 stroke ? With Yamaha reliability and suspension ? Are you kidding me ?

I'm a 4 stroke guy, but I'd run out and buy one. There are many, many orange bike riders who would kill for SSS forks on a competitive 300 2 stroke.

You'll get no argument from me on any of those points but look how long it took them to release the YZ/YZF in X trim. And that was basically with parts they had laying around. I just don't see them committing to re-tooling an engine that's already selling fairly well. I'd love to see it but I just can't imagine it happening any time in the foreseeable future. I sure hope I'm wrong though because a YZ300X would be the first brand new bike I've ever owned.

Edit: Save the FI for the 4 strokes, keep the 2 stroke simplicity by nixing the FI and every stitch of electronics not needed to turn it over or fire it up. Send a little juice to the headlight too I guess.

Edited by zderekv

If Yamaha wants market share and relevance off road, these products would give them that.

I would argue that with the popularity of the X models, Yamaha is gaining market share and relevance.

On the whole 350 issue, I just don't get it.  If a 250 isn't enough power for you, get the 450.  If you don't want as much power from the 450, don't twist the right grip so far.  Granted I haven't ridden mine any significant amount of time yet, but what time I have spent on it I learned very quickly that if you just gently roll the throttle on it comes on nice and smooth and consistent.  If you want arm-jerking acceleration just twist the grip faster and you'll get it.