HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Racinkc1

07 YZ450F Gearing options, 47 or 48 tooth?

6 posts in this topic

So this bike comes with a 49 tooth rear sprocket... Wanting longer gears. Should I drop 1 or 2 teeth? I know honda 's come with 51 tooth rears and you usually drop 2 teeth to a 49 tooth to notice a difference... Would you try the 48 tooth first? Probably not?

Is this for moto or something else?  If you want to be able to feel a noticeable difference you're going to need to go at least 2-3 to tell significantly.  1 tooth is only a 2.1% change so it's going to be hard to notice.  If you go 3 now you're up to a 6.2% difference which you will feel.    Gear ratios are just math.  

Whenever I want to gear up for some more open and fast riding I leave the rear sprocket alone and throw on a 14t front sprocket. Lot's easier and cheaper.  That's roughly equivalent to dropping 4 teeth off the rear sprocket.

good to know guys. 4 teeth is a little much, but its cool to know that ratio. I figured 1 tooth wouldnt be noticable.....

More like 3 teeth, actually.  

49/13= 3.77:1

46/13= 3.53:1    

49/14= 3.50:1

I used to switch between a 14 and 15 front on my '03 all the time.