Does the FX render the WR obsolete?

Hey All-  With Yamaha stepping up the Dirt Bike game by introducing several new models of late, does the FX steal the limelight the WR once had?  If you were buying a Yammie bike in 2012 for non motocross applications, you buy a WR and presumably modded it, for some expense.  

Now the new FX is $100 less, doesn't need to be uncorked, where does the WR fit?  The FX will surely siphon off the WR buyers who originally just didn't want to mod a YZ for even MORE expense than it is to uncork the WR, which is a great platform.  I look at my situation, I am interested in a 16 or 17 bike to replace my 12 WR.  What does the WR offer to me? Nothing uncorked...  we all know that. 

Lots of selection is a great thing and I think we as buyers are the true winners!  But I think the WR might be the odd bike out for lots of people in this forum that are regular "new" bike buyers, and I think there will be more FX riders in here as time goes on.

Just some food for thought.  Im ready for spring....

Lights

Plateability

Comfort

EPA compliance

Yes, good call on these.  I certainly didn't consider the CA aspect of EPA. 

As far as plateability...  I wonder if they will ever steer the WR into a factory DS.  

Will we see Krannie on any new blue plastic this year?

As far as plateability...  I wonder if they will ever steer the WR into a factory DS.  

Will we see Krannie on any new blue plastic this year?  

Yamaha will never make a WR dual sport. It's too risky for a company they makes most of it's money elsewhere.

No Blue for Krannie as of now, but there is a Red bike on a boat right now, headed my way....  and when the WR/YZ I own finally stops running, I will probably get a used 2013 WR to build up.4-stroke-RHrear-HR_zpsilsaijig.jpg

Edited by KRANNIE

That looks insane.  Not to hijack my own thread, but what made you go Beta?

Well, I liked the light weight of my old KTM 350XCFW, but not much else.

So, I thought I'd seek out an alternative to going to a 250FX or a two stroke, and the Beta fit the bill. 

They are using a new kind of (for  motorcycles) fuel injection called Synerjet, and it does not use a conventional TPS  for controlling the maping, but an acutal stepper motor instead.

It make the throttle response linear like a carb, and not 'delayed' or inconsistent when the standard TPS gets hot or worn out.

They now have a new front fork option that is similar to the KYB SSS, too.

Oh, and the B.Y.O.B. program (build your own Beta) allows you to pick from a HUGE list of upgrades and aftermarket parts, and they put them on for free, credit you the stock parts, and on top of that, give you a discount on the new parts.

I am actually getting the forks re-sprung, re-valved and re-shimed directly from BETA's Racing division tuner, before I even take delivery of the bike!

It's also 21lbs lighter wet than a wet WR450F, and mine with be STREET LEGAL! 

It ain't cheap though. About the same as a KTM, about $1000 more than a WR, plus all the BYOB stuff I added (about $2k's worth of stuff that is not even on the bike in the picture....), mostly protection parts, suspension, Tubliss, tall seat, bars, steering damper, etc etc etc.....

• Like 3

Yamaha will never make a WR dual sport. It's too risky for a company they makes most of it's money elsewhere.

Yamaha offers one in Europe. Full street legal wr450f dual sport. Our U.S bikes just have all the parts missing, frame even has the indent slot and bolt hole threaded to mount the horn. Wiring is all ready to go as well.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

Yamaha offers one in Europe. Full street legal wr450f dual sport. Our U.S bikes just have all the parts missing, frame even has the indent slot and bolt hole threaded to mount the horn. Wiring is all ready to go as well.

Right. It has a DS kit on it. 

No EPA scrutiny, no DOT scrutiny, no IIA scrutiny.....so it does not have what we would need to make it street legal in most states.

It's the same as KTM making xc-f and exc models. The one you need depends on where you live. In Australia the wr and exc are road legal while xc-f and fx are not. In most states you need the plate to ride legally anywhere except private property. Our wrs come stock with the competition ecu too.

Betas have a reputation for being a bit porky so I would be surprised if they are significantly lighter than a wr450.

Hey All-  With Yamaha stepping up the Dirt Bike game by introducing several new models of late, does the FX steal the limelight the WR once had?  If you were buying a Yammie bike in 2012 for non motocross applications, you buy a WR and presumably modded it, for some expense.  

Now the new FX is $100 less, doesn't need to be uncorked, where does the WR fit?  The FX will surely siphon off the WR buyers who originally just didn't want to mod a YZ for even MORE expense than it is to uncork the WR, which is a great platform.  I look at my situation, I am interested in a 16 or 17 bike to replace my 12 WR.  What does the WR offer to me? Nothing uncorked...  we all know that. 

Lots of selection is a great thing and I think we as buyers are the true winners!  But I think the WR might be the odd bike out for lots of people in this forum that are regular "new" bike buyers, and I think there will be more FX riders in here as time goes on.

Just some food for thought.  Im ready for spring....

The new WR might be considered a bit of a good deal. Lights, fan, wiring harness. It will however need a pipe for sure.

However I just heard they are held up for delivery.

It's the same as KTM making xc-f and exc models. The one you need depends on where you live. In Australia the wr and exc are road legal while xc-f and fx are not. In most states you need the plate to ride legally anywhere except private property. Our wrs come stock with the competition ecu too.

Betas have a reputation for being a bit porky so I would be surprised if they are significantly lighter than a wr450.

RR 430 is 252 wet.

When they were using the old KTM motor it was 261 wet.

The new WR might be considered a bit of a good deal. Lights, fan, wiring harness. It will however need a pipe for sure.

However I just heard they are held up for delivery.

I agree, it will be the value bike for sure.

It will also last through 10 years of hard riding and neglect, unlike orange.

• Like 2

No Blue for Krannie as of now, but there is a Red bike on a boat right now, headed my way....  and when the WR/YZ I own finally stops running, I will probably get a used 2013 WR to build up.4-stroke-RHrear-HR_zpsilsaijig.jpg

Good luck with getting a 430RR street plated in CA.