Preload-Adjuster YZ450F '14

There are only a few things that could be made better on my 450f so i just want to share what i have done.

A year ago i started to design an alternative prelod adjuster because i did not want to hammer on my shock.

I coose the KTM-design to adapt to the YAMAHA shock dimensions.

preload-ring.jpg

I fabricated two examples from billet aluminium on my mill for testing.

milling.jpg finished.jpg

Then have one anodized and assembled one to my shock. After one year of using it i can say that its working very well. Of course it is not orange!

result.jpg

It took me many hours of milling and i can say that its not always funny to make them by hand.

If somebody has a CNC-machine workshop, it should be a lot easier. If somebody is interested to build one or more, i would share the CAD-File. It ist generated in FreeCAD. Exporting Step-files ist possible.

Maybe you could make one or two for me?

lhf #56

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi! Very nice collar! I plan to build one for my yz250 2t 2008. The threads is the same so your model is very interesting!  :goofy: Can you share the dimension/ plan for it? CAD-File? I have some threads broken on my shock so I need something larger than the stock one! Thank's!

Hi! Very nice collar! I plan to build one for my yz250 2t 2008. The threads is the same so your model is very interesting! :goofy: Can you share the dimension/ plan for it? CAD-File? I have some threads broken on my shock so I need something larger than the stock one! Thank's!

The shock body is not the same diameter on the 450. This part won't work on your bike. You would have to alter the design to make it fit.

ID on the new 450 is 50mm.  ID on your shock is 46mm.

The two shocks require two different springs - the older spring will NOT fit on the newer shock body/spring seat.  Can reasonably assume the nominal diameter of the threads differ as well.  I would guess they kept the wall the same and it's an M56 x 1.5.  That's a GUESS remember.