Tusk Impact Wheels w/ strange bushings 2006 YZ450f

I recently bought and installed a new Tusk Impact rear wheel on my 06 YZ450f. They seem pretty quality and I have read nothing but good reviews about them. The only thing that weirds me out about them is in order to make that one wheel fit multiple bikes they have used the hub for an 09+. In 09 they went from 22mm to 25mm for the axle. To make this work for my 06 with the 22mm they provided different bushings that go further into the hub. This seems like a weak point for the wheel but I have never used something like this so I could just be over cautious about it. 

Has anyone used these wheels with an 06-08 or any similar type of bushing?

Bushings.png

Edited by tjizzle37

As I recall, Tusk (as well as Warp9 and others who use the Talon model) use a universal hub in which the bearings are larger at their ID than any of their applications, and then use the correct disk and sprocket flanges, along with bushings and spacers of an appropriate size for the bike in which it's installed. 

It's a common practice, and I don't see it as a weak point.  All such hubs are heavier by a small amount than the OEM YZ hub is, too, BTW.

As I recall, Tusk (as well as Warp9 and others who use the Talon model) use a universal hub in which the bearings are larger at their ID than any of their applications, and then use the correct disk and sprocket flanges, along with bushings and spacers of an appropriate size for the bike in which it's installed. 

It's a common practice, and I don't see it as a weak point.  All such hubs are heavier by a small amount than the OEM YZ hub is, too, BTW.

Thanks Grayracer, I thought so but just wanted to make sure. I didn't weight them but after picking both wheels up with tires mounted they felt about the same weight. If there is a difference between the two it is negligible in my opinion. Went from 19 - 18" with a new x30 battlecross. Excited to use it on Saturday!

• Like 1

I have those wheels and tires on my xmas list. Let me know how they work for you! Does the bushing go through the entire hub t act as a collar for the smaller axle? I'll be mounting these on an 04 yz250f..

Its just a collar, its like the standard bushings with a smaller OD extension on one side. They are a pain to mount on the bike the first time. The bushings kept popping out 1/4inch every time I tired to install it on the swing arm, would have been find if I had 3-4 arms but only have 2. Fit and finish is great, I'm riding on Saturday, Ill let you how they do. 

I have a set of G-Force wheels (older version of the Tusks) with the same type of spacers. I used them on my YZ125 as well as on my YZ250AF, so it was nice only having to swap the spacers and be able to mount them on both bikes. I don't see how using the smaller spacers could be a problem.

I have a set of G-Force wheels (older version of the Tusks) with the same type of spacers. I used them on my YZ125 as well as on my YZ250AF, so it was nice only having to swap the spacers and be able to mount them on both bikes. I don't see how using the smaller spacers could be a problem.

In this case the wheel comes with 2 different style of bushings/spacers. The smaller ones are for the 09+ and the larger ones that I used are for pre 09. the 09+ has a 25mm axle and the pre 09 has a 22mm axle so the larger bushings must be used to make up for the change in Axle OD. If I used the smaller bushings the axle would have 3mm of movement in the bushings. 

In this case the wheel comes with 2 different style of bushings/spacers. The smaller ones are for the 09+ and the larger ones that I used are for pre 09. the 09+ has a 25mm axle and the pre 09 has a 22mm axle so the larger bushings must be used to make up for the change in Axle OD. If I used the smaller bushings the axle would have 3mm of movement in the bushings. 

This is exactly the case for my wheels also. The smaller diameter bushings are longer to fit inside the bearings' inner race and make up the space around the smaller axle. 

That's not how the Tusk hubs work.  They're just basic machined hubs.  For that application they just use reducers for the smaller axle.  No adapters for rotors/sprockets as far as I know.  That's a different $$ level of hub to get an Excel or Talon.

On the topic of these Tusk hubs, do these things hold up??  I have a front and I'm about to order a rear to build up an 18" wheelset.  I've read that the bearings on them can go out faster than normal.

That's not how the Tusk hubs work.  They're just basic machined hubs.  For that application they just use reducers for the smaller axle.  No adapters for rotors/sprockets as far as I know.  That's a different $$ level of hub to get an Excel or Talon.

On the topic of these Tusk hubs, do these things hold up??  I have a front and I'm about to order a rear to build up an 18" wheelset.  I've read that the bearings on them can go out faster than normal.

I just installed it on my bike so I can't really speak to the reliability yet but from what I read they hold up better than OEM. 

Update - Rode last Saturday for about 6 hours at Hollister Hills. The wheel performed flawlessly as well as my new tire. I am falling in love with the Battlecross X30, the conditions were great and I had tons of traction....almost too much.

📎my450_resized.jpg

That's the same set up I'm building. Tusk and 110-90×18 x30s. Would like to pursue the idea of tubeliss. Will that work on a 2.15 wheel?

That's the same set up I'm building. Tusk and 110-90×18 x30s. Would like to pursue the idea of tubeliss. Will that work on a 2.15 wheel?

I am running a 110-100-18 on 2.15 wheel so you should have not issue. That would be the exact same width of tire, as for the Tubliss system I am wanting to do the same in the future I just haven't done it yet but that should work with the 2.15 with out issue as well. I believe the stock wheel on my YZ is 2.15. 

I had a typo there, mine is a 110-100×18 as well

You should be golden then. That extra sidewall flex is awesome and that big meaty tire on a black 18 inch wheel looks mean. Some people complain that the extra tire creates too much unsprung weight and flexes too much but I don't feel any negative effects. I did however ride a WR for 5 years so maybe I am just used to it or too slow to notice.