HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andrew1984

thinking of rekluse exp 3.0 for 2016 yz450f

22 posts in this topic

Just bought a new 2016 yz450f thinking of getting the rekluse exp 3.0 clutch I only trail ride don't race.is this a good clutch ?.

Probably one of the best mods for a bike... you won't regret it.

All depends on how/where you ride, and how heavy your are.....

If you need to short shift up really loose hills, the Rekluse may not be an improvement, as it is designed to engage over a narrow rpm range, which may be the wrong rpm for what you are doing.

Also, if you are a large rider, you will find it slipping more than you like when riding very steep terrain, even when properly set up.

I found that 'chugging' up a loose hill with the Rekluse required me to downshift, or the clutch would slip.

I have tried it properly set up (with Rekluses assistance) on (3) separate bikes, and removed it from all three.

It also softens the power delivery a tiny bit, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

...but it does work, and is reliable and effective for many riders.

Bear in mind that both the engagement RPM and the range of RPM over which the clutch goes from beginning to engage to full engagement is adjustable.  If you don't like it, you can change it.

As far as slipping while "chugging" along at low RPM goes, it's supposed to.  Any time you drop below the RPM at which it begins to release, you will get that.  It's what makes it work. 

I've raced an '06 with a Rekluse Z-Start Pro in it on the same set of Yamaha plates for two seasons now without an issue. 

1 person likes this

Best thing you can do to a YZ for woods application....after suspension revalve.

Edited by Navaho6
1 person likes this

So the EXP is good enough, no need for the full Core EXP?  Been thinking of eventually getting one for me '14 as well, and the price point between the 2 is substantial.  I've had 3 Rekluses, but all of the Z-start family.

So the EXP is good enough, no need for the full Core EXP? Been thinking of eventually getting one for me '14 as well, and the price point between the 2 is substantial. I've had 3 Rekluses, but all of the Z-start family.

I don't see the standard 3.0 holding in the YZF...

1 person likes this

I had the EXP in my '14 for one ride, then got the upgrade kit for the Core EXP.  Motor is WAY too strong to have that many clutch plates removed.

Been running my 3.0 in my 15 450 for 45 hours race harescrambles holding up fine

You can also buy in stages

my exp 2.0 has around 1000 hours in an rmx450, just pick the right gear for the terrain your on as you would with a normal clutch.

my exp 2.0 has around 1000 hours in an rmx450, just pick the right gear for the terrain your on as you would with a normal clutch.

RMX is missing about 10hp compared to a YZF...

the clutch engages just off idle, so it works like any other clutch plate when the motor is reving so extra horse power shouldnt make much difference un less your trying to accelerate from a stop idle in a really high gear.

the clutch engages just off idle, so it works like any other clutch plate when the motor is reving so extra horse power shouldnt make much difference un less your trying to accelerate from a stop idle in a really high gear.

Sorta, maybe, not really...Different motorcycles also have gearing differences between how the clutch spins in relation to the crank. Also, power difference at different RPMs make for different clamping forces. The list goes on and on. Hence why a Rekluse clutch for a 2016 KTM 250sxf won't work in a 350sxf yet they're the same.

I had 400hrs on a stock EXP 2.0 ring on my KTM 500, I've gone through 3 EXP rings alone on my YZF...

You're not taking into account that the ability of the clutch to hold against power once fully engaged is a factor of the total clutch plate lining area and the pressure that clamps the plate stack.  The first thing that the EXP does is remove the equivalent of one clutch plates's lining area from the stack (the ring has lining on both sides), so there's roughly 15% less clutch area.  Then there is the question of clamping force.  It's probably quite safe to assume that at 7000 RPM the clutch has as much clamping force applied as with its original springs and in fact, in the EXP, it's limited to that, but what about the clamping force at 4000 or 5000 RPM?  That's the concern. 

Sorta, maybe, not really...Different motorcycles also have gearing differences between how the clutch spins in relation to the crank. Also, power difference at different RPMs make for different clamping forces. The list goes on and on. Hence why a Rekluse clutch for a 2016 KTM 250sxf won't work in a 350sxf yet they're the same.

That's why the EXP doesn't work quite as well in a YZ250 as it does in the 450.  Due to the internal primary gearing, the 450 clutch spins about 15% faster, so the additional speed produces more centrifugal force, on which the unit operates.

i dont disagree with you guys, but rekluse has been great for me, they do have heavier springs to compensate the pressure depending on setups. maybe you can use your yz power tuner to put the woods map or something with a softer bottom end if you find it slipping?

I had the 2.0 in my '14 YZ450 with the heavy wedges.. worked fine used that for about 50 hours.. upgraded to the 3.0 CORE EXP it was going good for a while but i could never get it tuned correctly. I was getting tired of pulling the clutch cover to do adjustments, so i pulled all the CORE stuff out and ended up using just the 3.0 with heavy wedges. 

To me the bike feels alot better with just the EXP disc then the whole CORE set up. bike hooks up everywhere and is awesome.. As for the bike having too much power? I have the GYTR head, Cams and hi-comp piston on my bike and it works just fine.