HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avlisj

Re degree your can to yz spec

32 posts in this topic

Someone just mentioned the re degree of their stock wr cam to yz spec. I did search this and was thoroughly confused due to too many years of bikes mentioned. Then full cam swaps etc. I am only interested in info for the FI model bikes and the rotation of stock exhaust cam to yz timing. Where is the performance gain? Engine brake effect? Gas mileage? Do you have to grind the decompression pin? Anybody who's done this please chime in.

Edited by avlisj

You will always have to deal with the decomp pin if you want to retain the e-start, that's a given.

Someone just mentioned the re degree of their stock wr cam to yz spec. I did search this and was thoroughly confused due to too many years of bikes mentioned. Then full cam swaps etc. I am only interested in info for the FI model bikes and the rotation of stock exhaust cam to yz timing. Where is the performance gain? Engine brake effect? Gas mileage? Do you have to grind the decompression pin? Anybody who's done this please chime in.

You rotate the 2006 or '07 EX cam one tooth, then grind the decomp pin so it is approx 1.125mm shorter.

The grind is unfortunately, a trial and error thing, becaue the pins are not precision (not all the exact same length).

So, you have to temp assemble the EX cam and cap and test the decomp system by hand, and re-grind till you are successful.

'06 has a small midrange hit, and the '07 has no hit with a power band that start right at idle.

FI and carb heads are the same.

Edited by KRANNIE

So it's not as simple as just rotAte my existing stock exhaust cam one tooth during my next valve check to get the mod? A 2014 WR.

So it's not as simple as just rotAte my existing stock exhaust cam one tooth during my next valve check to get the mod? A 2014 WR.

No it is not.

You don't have that option anymore.

You think it's worth the hassle, now that with the FI bikes I have infinite ways to adjust the hit or power delivery by changing the map?

You think it's worth the hassle, now that with the FI bikes I have infinite ways to adjust the hit or power delivery by changing the map?

Sorry, but you do not have the ability for 'infinite ways to adjust hit or power  delivery' with FI and IGN mapping.

FI changes fuel/air ratios, and nothing more. It is not a 'booster' or a 'hp' option.

If it is way off (like stock) it will make it run better and faster when you change the map.....but that's it.

IGN timing changes mostly makes for changes in throttle response at specific rpms and throttle openings.

You can make the throttle openings more or less repsonsive, lwith better acceleration, and that's about it.

If you want more power, you need to get more fuel in and out of the head, via cams, porting, pipes.....and THEN you change the mapping to match.

Disagree

When riding, real world test, I can change mapping to have hit at bottom or smooth pull throughout etc. thus infinite ways to adjust hit.

Not talking about increasing HP numbers seen on a dyno.

It will never really be YZ spec because there's not as much lift or duration.

No it is not.

You don't have that option anymore.

Couldn't he just rotate it? No more e-start but if he's not concerned with that, so be it.

It will never really be YZ spec because there's not as much lift or duration.

I hear the YZ cam isn't much different just different lobe centers.

when my cam was re degreed the tech pressed the gear off the cam and pressed it back on in a new location. it was not simply moved a tooth on the sprocket.

i cannot comment on the pin and the decompressor. but i know it starts every bit as good as it originally did.

1 person likes this

when my cam was re degreed the tech pressed the gear off the cam and pressed it back on in a new location. it was not simply moved a tooth on the sprocket.

i cannot comment on the pin and the decompressor. but i know it starts every bit as good as it originally did.

Your guy likley retarded the exhaust cam toward the YZ spec. It would be interesting to know if he ground the pin.

The 12' fuel injected bikes and the 07-11 use the same cam.

Edited by stevethe

In my case the bike picked up about 10-13 Hp across the rom range mostly in the mid to upper rpm.

The low end increased slightly but the peak Hp was 53 hp at the wheel on the dyno.

Also I have the FMF slip on and the comp ecu.

The ignition timing and fuel were tweaked for maximum hp and I had the tuner also create a fuel efficient map which I have never used. The bike gets around 40 mpg on the trails we ride.

Also the bike is for sale as I have a 450 fx on order should be coming any day now. If your interested send me a PM without delay!

The bike is on Craig's list in Colorado Springs colorado and I have an interested buyer but he has not actually had time to see it yet.

In my case the bike picked up about 10-13 Hp across the rom range mostly in the mid to upper rpm.

The low end increased slightly but the peak Hp was 53 hp at the wheel on the dyno.

The ignition timing and fuel were tweaked for maximum hp and I had the tuner also create a fuel efficient map which I have never used. The bike gets around 40 mpg on the trails we ride.

Also the bike is for sale as I have a 450 fx on order should be coming any day now. If your interested send me a PM without delay!

The bike is on Craig's list in Colorado Springs colorado and I have an interested buyer but he has not actually had time to see it yet.

I'll buy the exhaust cam off you. Haha.

What did that mod do to engine braking ?

Can you post that fuel efficient map created buy a TUNER for the rest of us?

Edited by avlisj

Hum 10-13 hp is really not doable for a pipe and a cam change.

Carbed bikes don't give up hp and a 08 YZ450 on a Dyno jet made 49+ hp.

Maybe a funny Dyno.

Edited by stevethe
1 person likes this

From stock corked-up, maybe.....